• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's your preferred web browser?"

Collapse

• rogerfederer
    replied
    For facebook, instagram and browsing with websites that require a log-in, such as paywall newspapers, then Brave browser is probably the best of the moment.

However for anonymous browsing, or trawling forums with log-ons then it's obvious ToR browser bundle or TAILS O/S booted from USB/SDCARD is the safest option. With ToR browser bundle and ublock origin you can be assured that adverts, trackers and website 'optimization' features (tracking your mouse pointer and how long you hover over items) aren't enabled unless you enable the site with NoScript. NoScript also blocks cross-site trackers.

Each site you visit has a circuit built to the site via multiple relays. You can renew this relay if you find a website to seem slow to load. Routing via Russia or a remote tax haven island seems to slow things down considerably. I find it not slower than using a normal browser with NoScript and ublock origin installed, such as firefox.

The main reason to use ToR is to avoid profiling, something that seems to apply in western countries and also dictatorships. For example should a job I apply for - requiring SC or above clearance - be prejudiced if I curiously browsed certain forums at one time or another? Within CyberSecurity it's common to use ToR onion sites to update yourself on the current methodologies used to hack large corporates - extremely helpful for securing enterprises and such was used during past ransomware hacks. Now that FireEye is common this is less of a requirement, but it's not been so long since we had to keep up to date on ToR Security forum sites, of which there are numerous.

Privacy is a right, so use it and use it wisely. ToR is also useful at client sites (with a user specified bridge) to avoid any nasties on corporate WiFi, although thankfully these are rarer than they used to be. Same applies to planes, trains and automobiles.

Leave a comment:

• genius
    replied
    Brave

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I do use TOR for some things...
    engaging hit men?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's not been suggsted yet. But for the ultra paranoid the Tor browser is very good.
    Tor Project | Anonymity Online

It's based on Firefox but uses a network of encrypted peers before breaking onto the public internet at a random node.
    It's likely that a large amount of the exit nodes are run by the US government so don't bother with any anti-US espionage but for most other activity it's very private.
    I do use TOR for some things...

Leave a comment:

• technobabble
    replied
    Firefox

Mozilla Firefox

Chrome is faster but I don't like the way Google uses data so try and avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It's not been suggsted yet. But for the ultra paranoid the Tor browser is very good.
    Yes, I use this occasionally.

The re-routing does make it slower than a normal browser though.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

It's based on Firefox but uses a network of encrypted peers before breaking onto the public internet at a random node.
    It's likely that a large amount of the exit nodes are run by the US government so don't bother with any anti-US espionage but for most other activity it's very private.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
    Opera - the inbuilt VPN is really handy.
    I tried Opera (on win 10 desktop) as of yesterday & really like it. Thanks for mentioning it.
    It's certainly as good as Firefox or Edge.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Opera - the inbuilt VPN is really handy.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    If you use an iPad it will, it’s a new 'feature'

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    I used to use safari, but following an update it decides which tabs it will close, without warning or means of retrieval.
    I sometimes wish it would do that to me. I must have a hundred or so scattered around a dozen windows at the moment

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Safari.
    I used to use safari, but following an update it decides which tabs it will close, without warning or means of retrieval.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Safari.

Leave a comment:

• BritishLad88
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    I've tried IE, Opera, Chrome and K-Meleon.

I've found K-Meleon by far the best. It's fast and lean. Uses much less memory and cpu than others, so great for older/lower spec PCs. It's configurable in an intuitive way, and it's easy to import bookmarks from other browsers.

I'm currently using the latest stable release with the Gecko engine.
    K-Meleon 75.1 (2015-09-19)
    K-Meleon

What's your choice of browser?
    Chrome for me always. First choice.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Charlotte and Lynx. Probably the safest browsers around

Leave a comment:

Working...
X