• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New amp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I got a Chromecast Audio and a Cambridge Audio amp. Has digital out if your amp supports it. £30 and if you are on Android casting works well though you ideally need a NAS/Plex for local content, but it sounds you probably have the kit for that already.

Or you could buy a hifi-separate network streamer for a few hundred depending on your taste. Are you an audiophile?
    I like good sound reproduction, but I'm not an expert and I'm not obsessive.

In the end I got the Onkyo RN855 - hi-fi separate streamer. We need the other amp in the cellar for home cinema. My daughter likes the fact that if she wants to listen to her heavy metal in the morning and doesn't want to get out of bed, she can just switch it on and start streaming - and turn the volume up so she can hear in her room - using her phone...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      My daughter likes the fact that if she wants to listen to her heavy metal in the morning and doesn't want to get out of bed, she can just switch it on and start streaming - and turn the volume up so she can hear in her room - using her phone...
      And for the rest of us, that sounds like an exceptionally good reason to not purchase the Onkyo RN855.

Comment

and I bought a Jam voice (with Alexa) a mere £25 and was delighted.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          And for the rest of us, that sounds like an exceptionally good reason to not purchase the Onkyo RN855.

I'll get her to turn up really loud so you can share the joy too!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I like good sound reproduction, but I'm not an expert and I'm not obsessive.

In the end I got the Onkyo RN855 - hi-fi separate streamer. We need the other amp in the cellar for home cinema. My daughter likes the fact that if she wants to listen to her heavy metal in the morning and doesn't want to get out of bed, she can just switch it on and start streaming - and turn the volume up so she can hear in her room - using her phone...
            Pleased with it?

On my list for consideration, although my trusty Yamaha AV needs replacing too (soo old it doesn't have HDMI, although still a great amp) so may well have a look at the AV options which also support streaming.
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

It's fine. It has good response over all the frequencies I'm still able to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                or one of these? - Quad have been top stuff for as long as i've been playing/listening to music.

Quad VA-One Integrated Valve Amplifier at Audio Affair

Check out all of the hifi shops in Basel and have a listen to a few, take a song you like with a good wide range, and ask them to play through equivalent quality speakers to yours.
                you'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it!
                How shocking, 2 x EL84 instead of 2 x KT66.

I suppose the cost of the latter would be unsupportable these days.

I remember the time when you could pick up (not literally, they're fecking heavy) a Quad 22 + 202 for peanuts.

Ah, dear dead days beyond recall.

Who'd have thunk it.

https://www.rewindmuseum.com/valveamplifier.htm

All completely irrelevant to the original question as is customary on CUK.

Rather curiously, during my extensive research last week into the ins & outs of acoustic gramophones, I discovered that the air itself causes distortion of the sound waveform due to the speed of sound being higher in the compression phase than it is in the expansion phase.

Not a lot of people know that.

Don't mention it to The Golden Eared or they'll get all upset.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 April 2018, 07:46.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  or one of these? - Quad have been top stuff for as long as i've been playing/listening to music.

Quad VA-One Integrated Valve Amplifier at Audio Affair

Check out all of the hifi shops in Basel and have a listen to a few, take a song you like with a good wide range, and ask them to play through equivalent quality speakers to yours.
                  you'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it!
                  My word. I never spotted the link to the Quad valve amp earlier. What an amazing it of kit that is. Bluetooth on a valve amp! Incredible. I wonder what my Apple Music would sound like streamed from my mobile to that Quad with Bluetooth? I have just seen something I like better than my Sonos, but I haven't heard it yet!
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I wonder how many valves it would take to make a Bluetooth transceiver.

Then there's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intimidatio.../dp/B01MAZGW4Q
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      I wonder how many valves it would take to make a Bluetooth transceiver.

Then there's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intimidatio.../dp/B01MAZGW4Q
                      My word, there is a whole new world out there I never knew existed. 108 quid for a valve amp? Like the idea of the Nobsound amp on the same page though
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X