• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Macs "just work" - yeah right. Power/sleep issues.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macs "just work" - yeah right. Power/sleep issues.

My morning routine is now "try to turn on the Mac. Oh look it won't wake up, force power off and reboot, re-open everything".

Why is it so hard to make a computer that can turn on and off properly? It always used to work fine but then it started having fits of not working, before doing it all the time.
    I can leave it on all day and it will go to sleep then wake up after lunch or several hours absence... but leave it overnight and it nearly always screws up. More recently it's done a fun alternative sometimes where it will seem to wake up but I just get a (movable) mouse cursor on a black screen. Like running Windows before Win7 came along.

It's a late 2012 Mac Mini recently upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra but it did this before the upgrade too. Any tips? I'd really rather not have to pretend like it's 1998 and power off my PC each night! I've seen people complain about it online but no obvious fix-all.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My morning routine is now "try to turn on the Mac. Oh look it won't wake up, force power off and reboot, re-open everything".

Why is it so hard to make a computer that can turn on and off properly? It always used to work fine but then it started having fits of not working, before doing it all the time.
    I can leave it on all day and it will go to sleep then wake up after lunch or several hours absence... but leave it overnight and it nearly always screws up. More recently it's done a fun alternative sometimes where it will seem to wake up but I just get a (movable) mouse cursor on a black screen. Like running Windows before Win7 came along.

It's a late 2012 Mac Mini recently upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra but it did this before the upgrade too. Any tips? I'd really rather not have to pretend like it's 1998 and power off my PC each night! I've seen people complain about it online but no obvious fix-all.
    So you’re complaining about a 5 year old Mac that has been giving good service until 4 months ago?

Time to either buy a new Mac or go PC.

My 7 year MBP is doing exactly the same thing and those are the only 2 options out there if you want things to improve.

But I’m not complaining about my Mac, and it’s only the cost that has me looking at Dell. It gave me 6 1/2 years of excellent service.

Personally I’m looking at the Dell equivalent.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

My old macbook had problems starting up. Ordered a battery off the internet, replaced it and it's fine now. Not saying it's the same issue but started when the battery started playing up, would also just power off even when connected to the mains.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        My old macbook had problems starting up. Ordered a battery off the internet, replaced it and it's fine now. Not saying it's the same issue but started when the battery started playing up, would also just power off even when connected to the mains.
        Ah, that’s interesting woohoo - could tell us where you bought? (There are so many dodgy electrical sellers out there I’d rather have a recommendation.)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          So you’re complaining about a 5 year old Mac that has been giving good service until 4 months ago?

Time to either buy a new Mac or go PC.
          Why on earth would the fact it's 5 years old be grounds for it to not work properly? You're suggesting a hardware fault?

Also late 2012 is surely when it launched, Apple were selling for sometime afterwards, possibly a few years.

It is more than powerful enough for what I need - in fact I got this model because Apple's next iteration was worse in terms of hardware - so no way am I replacing it just for a sleep bug which must be fixable, unless I can diagnose an actual fault.

Also, I see people with newer models complaining of similar issues so "buy a new Mac appears to be no guarantee of a fix".
          Last edited by d000hg; 19 January 2018, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            It's a Mac Mini so unless you're referring to a BIOS type battery I can't see an issue there.

Comment

Why on earth would the fact it's 5 years old be grounds for it to not work properly? You're suggesting a hardware fault?

Also late 2012 is surely when it launched, Apple were selling for sometime afterwards, possibly a few years.

It is more than powerful enough for what I need - in fact I got this model because Apple's next iteration was worse in terms of hardware - so no way am I replacing it just for a sleep bug which must be fixable, unless I can diagnose an actual fault.

Also, I see people with newer models complaining of similar issues so "buy a new Mac appears to be no guarantee of a fix".
              No, I’m thinking that it’s quite possible that an ‘upgrade’ update did something to destabilise older Macs of all persuasions.

Woohoo is suggesting an alternative fix (for me), so I’ll give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                But I’m not complaining about my Mac, and it’s only the cost that has me looking at Dell.
                6% off Apple MBP via IPSE Advantages direct from Apple. 7% off if you can get it from PC World (which you could then combine with Quidco, apparently)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Software update which slows down older models. To preserve their life and stop crashes. And not to force you to upgrade.

Comment

Try this

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6625408

Wake from Sleep only works for the first 4 hours. After that it goes into what Apple term Safe Sleep that needs a hard restart. This is by design in an attempt to meet European Energy standards.

Article above has a fix to disable this feature.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X