• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Wifi in dead-zones at home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Wifi in dead-zones at home

Hi all. Looking to buy the product below to powerline my broadband to rooms upstairs and Wifi it out. Has anyone used this product or is there any other product you can recommend?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

FYI a Wifi repeater wouldn't work because the wireless signal is already too weak upstairs.
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 7 September 2015, 09:17.

I use home plugs, can't fault them, not tried one with an in built WiFi but can't see a problem with them
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Have used Devolo ones in the past, not any more but only because we had some building work done and I ran a load of Cat6 around the house.

Take a look on 7dayshop - you shouldn't need to pay as much as £55 for them

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/ed...WH2-HP-6002ACK
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Have used Devolo ones in the past, not any more but only because we had some building work done and I ran a load of Cat6 around the house.

Take a look on 7dayshop - you shouldn't need to pay as much as £55 for them

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/ed...WH2-HP-6002ACK
        Thanks, checked those out just now but they are basic powerline adapters and not wifi hotspot generators.

Have ordered the BT multi pack now, which sounds good from the reviews so should be OK.

Comment

There's far too much reinforced concrete in my house, so I have the router with wifi in the cellar, but a line to a Devolo device (w/o wifi). The ground and first floor have a Devolo device each (with wifi).

The ground floor overlaps with the cellar and the first floor. The first floor signal reaches to the second floor rooms. I made sure they're on different channels (and not the same as the neighbours!).

This has worked fine now for five years.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Hi all. Looking to buy the product below to powerline my broadband to rooms upstairs and Wifi it out. Has anyone used this product or is there any other product you can recommend?

BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power Adapter Kit - (Pack of 2): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

FYI a Wifi repeater wouldn't work because the wireless signal is already too weak upstairs.
            These are great little gadgets. I have Powerline/Homeplug throughout the house and have one of these upstairs and one downstairs, in spots where the router signal is weak, so I have 100% strong coverage everywhere in the house.

Price seems reasonable too, compared to the ones I have HomePlug AV with 11n WiFi and 2 ethernet ports - NET-PLV-HL113EW

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
              These are great little gadgets. I have Powerline/Homeplug throughout the house and have one of these upstairs and one downstairs, in spots where the router signal is weak, so I have 100% strong coverage everywhere in the house.

Price seems reasonable too, compared to the ones I have HomePlug AV with 11n WiFi and 2 ethernet ports - NET-PLV-HL113EW
              Just an update in that I bought the BT Wifi powerline / hotspot kit and it's working pretty good. Would say great except that I find that I have to stop/start the wifi signal on my mobile phone every so often because it just stops seeing the wifi even though it's showing full strength. I think this happens when I move from one room to another where the other hotspot is. Otherwise it's OK.

Comment

I've used Solwise ones, including those with WiFi, and they're pretty good. Those with WiFi and more than 1 ethernet port do tend to come at a cost premium.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For those using WiFi extenders, if you set the SSID and password the same as the main router I assume it seamlessly moves from one to the other, however are devices smart enough to drop a weak connection for a stronger one where they over lap?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I wasn't sure what this would do so I have 3 WiFi networks with differing names. Devices do flick from one to another but there is some 'stickiness' - they only seem to swap when one is really weak/lost.

How would same-name networks work, given that you can edit DNS settings, etc, per connection?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X