• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any PHP mysqli experts?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post

A metasyntactic variable (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar)

(Or a corruption of fubar )
    Foobar is similar to Bob and Alice in cryptography.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    PS Not quite sure what atomic is, have to have a Google.
    You called? Supplies of Cobalt Thorium G are quite healthy at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Thanks all but no need for any more solutions, it's just a little local history website, form will only be used by me and maybe 2 other people. Working ok at mo.

I do have a much more complicated small businesss website with checkout, one of the lines here, (daddress = sanitised version of address etc.) works fine:

$sql = $con->query("UPDATE shop SET name='$dname',school='$dschool',address='$daddress ',postcode='$postcode',country='$country',
    tel='$tel',email='$email',comment='$dcomment' WHERE custid = '$custid'");
    if ($sql === FALSE)
    {
    echo "Error: " . $sql . "<br>" . $con->error;
    echo "Update cust 1 failed";
    }

Just that that aproach with multiple items did not work in the little history thing, dunno why.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 July 2023, 20:29.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    You said your solution is working? Are you sure it is? ie. is it actually inserting the values of variables $date, $title etc, or is it inserting the string values "$date", "$title" etc.

Here's what i think it should be (typed from memory, not tested). The {} inserts the variables into the query string.

PHP Code:
    $sql $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET date='{$date}', title='{$title}', speaker='{$speaker}', description='{$description}'
    WHERE id=
    {$id}"); 

The above assumes id is numeric key, otherwise

PHP Code:
    $sql $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET date='{$date}', title='{$title}', speaker='{$speaker}', description='{$description}'
    WHERE id='
    {$id}'"); 

If you're still getting errors, do

PHP Code:
    print_r($sql); 

To show you what the raw SQL being executed is.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 31 July 2023, 14:27.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    That's a pretty flaky approach, inefficient and no transactional integrity, what happens if the date update works but title doesn't? Do it as a single atomic UPDATE.
    Agreed, this makes any db dev want to weep

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers TGB. I do sanitise, remove quotes etc, and check if update worked but didn't put those lines here to keep it simple. As per post I would normally do a single update line but not working here for some reason, my flaky aproach only one that worked. Not a site of any importance anyway.

PS Not quite sure what atomic is, have to have a Google.
    PPS Nice cartoon. xkcd: Exploits of a Mom
    Last edited by xoggoth; 31 July 2023, 10:46.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Ah! I didn't see the relevance of your comment initially but you've sorted it for me, I just updated each item individually and it worked.

$sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET date='$date' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET title='$title' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET speaker='$speaker' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET description='$description' WHERE id=$id");

$con->error still showing same error message but I'll just comment that out.

Thanks woody1

Can't understand why I never had this problem before in my business website, got lots of far more complicated update lines. Maybe some property of the table?
    That's a pretty flaky approach, inefficient and no transactional integrity, what happens if the date update works but title doesn't? Do it as a single atomic UPDATE.

Also how are the $vars sanitized? What if $id became "1; DELETE FROM whlist"?

Leave a comment:

• HoofHearted
    replied
    Where does foobar come from?
    A metasyntactic variable (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar)

(Or a corruption of fubar )

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh, didn't use foobar. Where does foobar come from? And that ipse lorum ... or something like that you always see in examples. I always use rude words in my test data, much easier. Anyway, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Thanks woody1
    No problem, although I was just groping in the dark.

Anyway, ignore my previous post.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Cheers. That does update row 1 but still get error messages.
    Presumably you changed foobar for an actual column? Strange that it now updates a row but still throws errors, although presumably not a syntax error.

As a pure guess, the syntax error might have been something to do with the $var and/or single quotes.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ah! I didn't see the relevance of your comment initially but you've sorted it for me, I just updated each item individually and it worked.

$sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET date='$date' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET title='$title' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET speaker='$speaker' WHERE id=$id");
    $sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET description='$description' WHERE id=$id");

$con->error still showing same error message but I'll just comment that out.

Thanks woody1

Can't understand why I never had this problem before in my business website, got lots of far more complicated update lines. Maybe some property of the table?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 July 2023, 13:06.

Leave a comment:

• alanc
    replied
    What errors do you get ?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cheers. That does update row 1 but still get error messages.

Leave a comment:

• alanc
    replied
    I don't think you are concatenating your strings and variables correctly. Try

$sql = $con->query("UPDATE whlist SET date='" . $date . "' WHERE id='" . $id . "'");

Leave a comment:

Working...
X