• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking for a small NAS"

Collapse

• Protagoras
    replied
    Re USB drives, my experience is that one needs to watch out for fakes.

I've had no problem with genuine devices.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

+1 to avoid western Digital. Recently had one of their drives fail, the first time ever for me. I had the misfortune to buy a SanDisk USB drive recently (and they are now owned by WD) and it was awful. Seems like a company really going downhill with some of their products.
    That's annoying about SanDisk. I use their Extreme Pro CF & SD cards in my cameras.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by fulcon View Post
    I can't recommend one but I can tell you which one to avoid: Western Digital.

They ended support for their old OS earlier this year and the new version, and the associated app, is terrible.
    +1 to avoid western Digital. Recently had one of their drives fail, the first time ever for me. I had the misfortune to buy a SanDisk USB drive recently (and they are now owned by WD) and it was awful. Seems like a company really going downhill with some of their products.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between a 2TB Time Capsule and a 3TB one?

...well, the seller on fleaBay didn't
    The main difference is that the bigger one comes with 1TiB of malware

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Does anyone know the difference between a 2TB Time Capsule and a 3TB one?

...well, the seller on fleaBay didn't

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Do you care about drive resilience e.g. RAID?

There are some very inexpensive drives out there by WD, Synology, etc if you don't need a good CPU. Might be as cheap as an actual ethernet enclosure (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabit-Eth.../dp/B07YYG5S4S).

But I think your solution was as good as anything.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by fulcon View Post

They ended support for their old OS earlier this year and the new version, and the associated app, is terrible.
    I have an old WD TV hub and it has been out of date for years. The hard drive sounds like it’s on the way out, and the speed is chronic, hence the change.

Having considered the advice above, I’ve just got a 2TB time capsule for £64 on fleabay. That means the music can stay separate from the backups.

thanks all

Leave a comment:

• fulcon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    scrub that too complex
    Last edited by eek; 23 April 2022, 07:00.

Leave a comment:

• fatJock
    replied
    +1 for Pi if it’s just about storage. I use one with an SSD and it copes with everything I throw at it.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    If you just want to store music files and don't mind that the Time Capsule is old then I'd agree with @LoanCharged

If you do want a NAS appliance, while personally I use Synology, I think you'll find all the SOHO vendors have a product that would meet your needs.

NAS typically provides for disk redundancy, performance, ease of management, and these days will run various applications ... but do you need these things?

I'd say that there's no point connecting a USB interfaced drive to a NAS appliance.
    If you want to make something to share files from USB drives then you could connect them to a Raspberry PI and share them, or even install a NAS operating system on the PI, such as Openmediavault.

Leave a comment:

• LoanCharged
    replied
    Why spend on a NAS when your time capsule will do the job of storing your music? Just create a directory on there and off you go. Thats what I do. If you don't have enough space on your Time Capsule then buy another (2TB) one from eBay. Thats what I do :-)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    started a topic Looking for a small NAS

Looking for a small NAS

Friday afternoon, bored.
    I'm looking for a small (<5TB) NAS that I can plug into an RJ-45 port on my router (or possibly plug into my time capsule). It's not for backup, it's for music storage.
    In reality, 1TB would be more than I currently need.
    It won't be going through the company, so it doesn't need to be the mutt's nads.

I have a few spare backup drives lying around, but they are all just USB (or has anyone used a USB to RJ45 connector to make the drive a NAS?

Working...
X