• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Power BI on Mac

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Power BI on Mac"

Collapse

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Started using full (but dodgy) version of Parallels. Performance is FAR FAR superior compared to VirtualBoxes.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

What about oracle virtual box? that's free.

VMware player is also free, though you will need the full version on trial to create the vm first
    If you're working with PowerBI do you really care about £30 for a decent VM host? IMO Parallels is FAR better, though I have used it for more advanced stuff (3D rendering etc) so from ground zero I would try VB first unless my time was worth more than the cost of dicking around.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Because that time I was utilising Parallels trial version.
    What about oracle virtual box? that's free.

VMware player is also free, though you will need the full version on trial to create the vm first
    Last edited by css_jay99; 16 February 2022, 00:07.

Leave a comment:

• mogga71
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

No such thing as an intel Macbook anymore

It seems the only intel macs that can be bought are the 27" imac and the 2018 mac mini see Mac - Compare Models - Apple
    Yes, that's correct Eek. If anybody wants to use Microsoft products like Visio, Project etc. then it's probably not a great idea to buy a new mac. However, it has to be said that the list of those Microsoft products is pretty small. For the odd time that I have to do some Windows work I run Windows on my 2019 Mac mini via vmware and sometimes use Remote Desktop to link to it from my new Macbook Pro.

I used to use Visio a lot but at my current gig we all use browser-based tools instead. I am expecting Microsoft to come up with a mac version (or proper browser-based version) of Power BI Desktop pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You can still buy Intel Macs though. I made sure to get one before they removed them, so I have several years to see how this pans out
    Or have they already switched some ranges to M1-only?
    No such thing as an intel Macbook anymore

It seems the only intel macs that can be bought are the 27" imac and the 2018 mac mini see Mac - Compare Models - Apple

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Which is the original point here - on an intel mac you could get most windows programs working via parallels on a M1 mac that isn't an option.

It's why I'm looking at a new intel laptop because a macbook is going to be missing a program I need.
    You can still buy Intel Macs though. I made sure to get one before they removed them, so I have several years to see how this pans out
    Or have they already switched some ranges to M1-only?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Well most of your Windows software won't run on M1 either, will it? I'm not sure MS even sell Arm Windows licenses yet - when M1 was launched you could run Parallels on M1 but not install Windows on it IIRC.
    Which is the original point here - on an intel mac you could get most windows programs working via parallels on a M1 mac that isn't an option.

It's why I'm looking at a new intel laptop because a macbook is going to be missing a program I need.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Not on the new M1 macs...
    Well most of your Windows software won't run on M1 either, will it? I'm not sure MS even sell Arm Windows licenses yet - when M1 was launched you could run Parallels on M1 but not install Windows on it IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Is Bootcamp still an option? I've been running Parallels for a few years now, best thing on my Mac
    Not on the new M1 macs...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is Bootcamp still an option? I've been running Parallels for a few years now, best thing on my Mac

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    I'm not sure why running it on Parallels is a temporary solution, it's a great option.
    Because that time I was utilising Parallels trial version.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure why running it on Parallels is a temporary solution, it's a great option.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    You can use Power BI on you Mac using the PBI Service (powerbi.com)

It works very well actually. Might need a Premium Per User licence.

Macs will continue to be the preferred choice for UI, web developers, graphic artists, media, music no chance of them ever being not considered a professional tool.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

If Macs aren't a professional tool how come half of Microsoft employees use them? So when you say 'no longer' ... when were they more of a professional tool than they are now may i ask? I would say quite the opposite .... Macs are becoming more and more a professional tool as the cloud blurs the boundaries between all OS's.

I have owned many Windows and Apple laptops and can undoubtedly say that the new Macbook Pros are the best laptops I have ever used..after having been sh1t$ for years.
    perhaps when you are talking about end users, then Macs are just fine as end point. But working in IT, in mostly MS land, I MUST be able to sue Visio and Powershell, and occasionally project. Windows is the only desktop OS that allows me to work. Virtual machines are OK to a point but then you now have 2 x desktop OSs to manage patch.

As for no longer.. Simple. In my case (others have different experiences) .....10 years ago Powershell was less required for administration, partly due to O365 not being the collaboration platform of choice, hence admins who need Powershell would use it on the servers hosting Exchange/Skype/Sharepoint. For Visio/Project I still needed a VM but that is not daily/hourly.

If I still used a Mac, I would be running almost exclusively Windows apps in a VM rather than an occasional app.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

Eek I am simply going by the sheer number of Microsoft videos that show their staff using Macs : A few examples from Studio 9

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...zure-functions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...-need-to-learn
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...loud-advocates
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...github-actions

To say that Mac's aren't a professional tool is just plain wrong IMHO. To also give the impression that they used to be ... but aren't now, is crazy ...and that's even taking into account that the new Macs can't even run 'proper' Windows any more.
    My sole point was that the statement 50% of Microsoft employees use Macs is patently untrue. The exact number is irrelevant but there is zero chance that it's 50%+...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X