• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power BI on Mac

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power BI on Mac

Has any one installed and using/playing with Power BI on Mac without any issues?

I'm working towards Power BI certification. Wanted a local installation, however Mac is unsupported. To workaround installed VirtualBox, Windows 10 and successfully installed PB. But when loading even a single line of data, it falls into an endless loop and fails to load any data.

Any ideas?

I could have gone down the route of using Azure VM but it's bl**dy expensive.

Found a temporary solution ​​. Might help some one here. On to Certification ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_785.png
Views:	168
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	4198750

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_784.png
Views:	197
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	4198749

Last edited by BigDataPro; 6 January 2022, 11:19.

Comment

PowerBI, Visio, Project, Powershell (well you can get it but not all the cmdlets are available)...... The list is growing for reasons why a Mac is no longer a professional tool, and is just for fanbois and marketing luvvies.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old Macbook pro retina, but I'll never buy another.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I agree with you Lance , considering increase in Microsoft's market share through Azure for the past couple of years. But given that the higher share of Linux based applications in the industry, I still find Mac to be developer friendly especially in terms of application development (tools, drivers, installations, workarounds etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          PowerBI, Visio, Project, Powershell (well you can get it but not all the cmdlets are available)...... The list is growing for reasons why a Mac is no longer a professional tool, and is just for fanbois and marketing luvvies.

Don't get me wrong, I love my old Macbook pro retina, but I'll never buy another.
          If Macs aren't a professional tool how come half of Microsoft employees use them? So when you say 'no longer' ... when were they more of a professional tool than they are now may i ask? I would say quite the opposite .... Macs are becoming more and more a professional tool as the cloud blurs the boundaries between all OS's.

I have owned many Windows and Apple laptops and can undoubtedly say that the new Macbook Pros are the best laptops I have ever used..after having been sh1t$ for years.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

If Macs aren't a professional tool how come half of Microsoft employees use them? So when you say 'no longer' ... when were they more of a professional tool than they are now may i ask? I would say quite the opposite .... Macs are becoming more and more a professional tool as the cloud blurs the boundaries between all OS's.

I have owned many Windows and Apple laptops and can undoubtedly say that the new Macbook Pros are the best laptops I have ever used..after having been sh1t$ for years.
            Doubt that's true - I've never seen a Mac in any MS office I've been into (and given that I was a consultant with MS for years that includes the main offices in UK (all 3), Germany, Austria, Holland, Denmark.....)
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Doubt that's true - I've never seen a Mac in any MS office I've been into (and given that I was a consultant with MS for years that includes the main offices in UK (all 3), Germany, Austria, Holland, Denmark.....)
              Eek I am simply going by the sheer number of Microsoft videos that show their staff using Macs : A few examples from Studio 9

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...zure-functions
              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...-need-to-learn
              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...loud-advocates
              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...github-actions

To say that Mac's aren't a professional tool is just plain wrong IMHO. To also give the impression that they used to be ... but aren't now, is crazy ...and that's even taking into account that the new Macs can't even run 'proper' Windows any more.

Last edited by mogga71; 12 February 2022, 07:37.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Macs are very common amongst UX teams in MS's California offices. I know that first hand having worked with a few of them before they joined MS and having visited them in their offices and seen their team using Macs. I accept they may be less prevalent in MS engineering teams.
                Last edited by Paralytic; 12 February 2022, 12:38.

Comment

Eek I am simply going by the sheer number of Microsoft videos that show their staff using Macs : A few examples from Studio 9

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...zure-functions
                  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...-need-to-learn
                  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...loud-advocates
                  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sho...github-actions

To say that Mac's aren't a professional tool is just plain wrong IMHO. To also give the impression that they used to be ... but aren't now, is crazy ...and that's even taking into account that the new Macs can't even run 'proper' Windows any more.
                  My sole point was that the statement 50% of Microsoft employees use Macs is patently untrue. The exact number is irrelevant but there is zero chance that it's 50%+...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

perhaps when you are talking about end users, then Macs are just fine as end point. But working in IT, in mostly MS land, I MUST be able to sue Visio and Powershell, and occasionally project. Windows is the only desktop OS that allows me to work. Virtual machines are OK to a point but then you now have 2 x desktop OSs to manage patch.

As for no longer.. Simple. In my case (others have different experiences) .....10 years ago Powershell was less required for administration, partly due to O365 not being the collaboration platform of choice, hence admins who need Powershell would use it on the servers hosting Exchange/Skype/Sharepoint. For Visio/Project I still needed a VM but that is not daily/hourly.

If I still used a Mac, I would be running almost exclusively Windows apps in a VM rather than an occasional app.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X