• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which cordless tool ecosystem?"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Can't say that I've ever found the MT very useful.

The sabre saw on the other hand has been very useful though I've never tried it on roots.

Neither were up to much when I had to remove a jammed mortice lock, the sector thing on the MT lost all its teeth on the hardened pins, as did the hacksaw part of the sabre saw.

It eventually came down to lots of drilling with 3mm twist drills to remove the brass followed by a thin chisel to finally break the remains.

Took all day.

Found a thing on the interweb that suggested knocking the pins out of the hinges.

Wish I'd thought of that.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 May 2021, 09:54.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    SteelyDan I think reciprocating saws (sawzall in USA) are more commonly used for roots but I imagine a MT could work though you probably want to give it a clean afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Apparently not that battery's fault.

Other batteries, however, are faulty, one to the extent that it fecked the charger.

It's still charged, ain't that a wonder.

It's still still charged, even more of a wonder.

Makes one think.
    Stone me it's still still charged.

Maybe it's down to a discharge path in the tool itself.

Very inneresting.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Thanks to you both for replying (sorry no idea how to multi-quote on here) ..I've often pondered these multi-tools & wondered what the hell they could be used for, so thanks for suggesting their use...they're not expensive (for just the body) so am thinking I might get one. I reckon my CXT 10v batteries for the drill and driver would fit one too. I'll do some research. How are they used with floorboards? Not that I have any old traditional ones, but am just curious.
    Regarding the floorboards - they're mega handy for cutting through the tongue and groove, so you can remove individual boards. Because they plunge you have a lot of control over the depth you're cutting, and can get into tighter spaces than something like a circular saw

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Thanks to you both for replying (sorry no idea how to multi-quote on here) ..I've often pondered these multi-tools & wondered what the hell they could be used for, so thanks for suggesting their use...they're not expensive (for just the body) so am thinking I might get one. I reckon my CXT 10v batteries for the drill and driver would fit one too. I'll do some research. How are they used with floorboards? Not that I have any old traditional ones, but am just curious.

Edit: I watched a few videos earlier on the use of these...& having been dealing with a few errant, raised, block paving blocks on my drive this afternoon, I think I may have found a use for that multi-tool (which of course I don't have)...cutting through tree roots of around 1" diameter. I resorted to drill, hammer and chisel which eventually did the job, but couldn't help thinking how useful that bloody multi-tool might have been in cutting straight through the blighters. Oh well, I'll add it to my birthday present list.
    Last edited by SteelyDan; 30 April 2021, 14:30.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I have the Dewalt one, looks near-identical. Very useful mainly for plunging as vw says, or little fiddly things. For actually getting things done, it's really handy.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Talking of power tools, has anyone got, or used one of these multi-tools? https://tools4trade.co.uk/collection...tool-body-only

what exactly does/can it do?
    Multi tools are basically the best wrong tool for every job.

There are very few jobs where they are the best thing to use, but because they're small and reciprocating they come in super handy for all sorts. Great for cutting out things like floorboards, undercutting architrave and that sort of thing. You can get sanding pads and stuff for them.

The blades are expensive and don't last, though. And because they're reciprocate left to right it's hard to be accurate with your cuts if cutting into a material. For example, cutting out a square. But because they plunge, you can get into places that would be a challenge otherwise
    Last edited by vwdan; 30 April 2021, 08:12.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Talking of power tools, has anyone got, or used one of these multi-tools? https://tools4trade.co.uk/collection...tool-body-only

It does lots of things.. such as sanding

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-tm...ool-bare/892fg

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I have a 12 year old Bosch cordless 24v hammer drill which has given sterling service over the years. The original batteries stopped holding a charge for more than an hour or so, but I found a Japanese replacement using the current LiOn tech that has rejuvenated it. Holds a charge forever when not in use, lasts several hours when busy and about a third the price of a new drill.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Apparently not that battery's fault.

Other batteries, however, are faulty, one to the extent that it fecked the charger.

<hiatus>

It's still charged, ain't that a wonder.

<hiatus>

It's still still charged, even more of a wonder.

Makes one think.

<hiatus from 17th April>

Battery's finally flat.

Took a while.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 May 2021, 09:55.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So not the battery's fault after all?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Found an ancient 12V drill in the shed the other day.

Charged it up & to my amazement it took charge.

For all of 6 hours.

When I tried it again it was practically flat.

Chinese batteries.

The Japanese batteries in the Hitachi drill in work lasted 20 years (NiCd).

Dunno how long these lithium things will last, especially if they all come from China.

<hiatus>

Oddly, said battery retains its charge if removed from the drill, so presumably there's a continuous discharge in the drill itself.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 April 2021, 16:21.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Nice post, and I agree almost completely with it, except to say that 12V is perfectly adequate for light work. You sound like the more ambitious type ("built an entire extension"), which is why you feel strongly about 18V - agree for any "serious" use. However, 12V is perfectly fine for the average DIYer - just depends on your level of use/ambition.
    Absolutely - I really should have fleshed that out a little more! Ultimately, I just wanted to say if you go 18v you'll never wish you'd gone 12v, and of course the 18v ecosystem is far far bigger. You can even buy lawnmowers and stuff now!

Whereas if you go 12v, you might find yourself wishing for a bit more umph

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    In the USA the same DeWalt 18V stuff is sold as 20V, as far as I can make out. Can't imagine those identical looking batteries are different under the surface. Similar the FlexVolt is 60V not 54V.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X