• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop recommendations?"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Bought my third Thinkpad T480s in January (after owning T420s and the T450s) I love them. Went for slightly older model as this is the last Thinkpad that can be user upgraded (according to the general consensus on the forums anyway).

This one has 16GB RAM core i5, 128 SSD OS boot + 512 SDD for other files; does everything I need it for. £680 notes and £800 all in with the Thinkpad dock from ebuyer. I am too tight fisted to pay over 1500 for a laptop.

Got it from eBay, however understand there is a lot of risk with that but fingers crossed I was lucky. Only downside is the US keyboard but I use my Das mechanical keyboard most of the time.

qh

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    I second the Dell XP13.
    Great bit of kit. I am not a dev so not sure if it meets the needs.
    I went to the client I was working for at the time, and asked their supplier as a dell partner if they could get a decent deal and then order it through my ltd.
    Managed to get a good deal with it that way.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    One left in stock.

Dell Precision 15 5550 Mobile Workstation

https://www.europc.co.uk/dell-precis...gaAiRIEALw_wcB
    • English UK (QWERTY) Keyboard
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Intel Core i7-10750H (6 Core), 2.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Turbo)
    • 64 GB (2 x 32 GB), DDR 4, 3200 MHz Ram
    • 2x 1 TB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
    • 15.6 inch 1920 x 1200 WUXGA, Ultrasharp, IGZO4, Anti-Glare
    • 4GB NVIDIA Quadro T2000 Max-Q

£2,219.99 inc VAT

Okay for light developer work. Need 32 cores and 256GB RAM for real developers.
    Their prices are expensive compared to Dell outlet....

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Okay for light developer work. Need 190 cores and 40TB RAM for real developers.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    One left in stock.

Dell Precision 15 5550 Mobile Workstation

https://www.europc.co.uk/dell-precis...gaAiRIEALw_wcB
    • English UK (QWERTY) Keyboard
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Intel Core i7-10750H (6 Core), 2.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Turbo)
    • 64 GB (2 x 32 GB), DDR 4, 3200 MHz Ram
    • 2x 1 TB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
    • 15.6 inch 1920 x 1200 WUXGA, Ultrasharp, IGZO4, Anti-Glare
    • 4GB NVIDIA Quadro T2000 Max-Q

£2,219.99 inc VAT

Okay for light developer work. Need 32 cores and 256GB RAM for real developers.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

one of the new Apple Silicon Macbooks, or a Surface Pro.
    Stick with the software vendor for the hardware these days.
    OEMs are for cheap skates.
    Wouldn't touch MS for hardware - I've seen way too many broken surfaces compared to ipads / macbooks - and MS's warranty isn't turn up in a shop and they will repair it there and then.

I'm not 100% sure a Apple Silicon macbook is powerful enough for developer work - but it will depend on what the developer is doing.

My go to recommendation is still to visit Dell Outlet and see what they have.
    Last edited by eek; 28 March 2021, 08:11.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

My duel core i5 5 year old Mac book pro is being handed over to BS04 so time to buy something new and shiny. What do all the cool/not cool kids have?

Requirements:
    SSD
    Developer level tin

Either Mac or Windows.

one of the new Apple Silicon Macbooks, or a Surface Pro.
    Stick with the software vendor for the hardware these days.
    OEMs are for cheap skates.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    why a laptop? - for a home office there's more bang/buck in a desktop imho
    Definitely, and easier to maintain / upgrade too.

I guess the use case is portability or a lack of space for a dedicated desk.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    I've got a 15.6" Lenovo for personal use; very good, but more recently have been using a work-provided Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (black) which is superb. Great build quality, fast & looks great. Price just dropped from >£1200 to £999 (Curry's & JL). Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, Intel Core i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 13.5" PixelSense Display, Black (johnlewis.com)

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Personally I swear by Lenovo kit,
    Got a nice Yoga here, very good.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    why a laptop? - for a home office there's more bang/buck in a desktop imho

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've got the XPS15. Nice bit of kit. Gets a bit warm from time to time though.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm very happy with my Dell XPS13 (I like small laptops) but the XPS15 might be worth a look if you need a bigger screen?

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    started a topic New laptop recommendations?

New laptop recommendations?

My duel core i5 5 year old Mac book pro is being handed over to BS04 so time to buy something new and shiny. What do all the cool/not cool kids have?

Requirements:
    SSD
    Developer level tin

Either Mac or Windows.

Last edited by BlueSharp; 26 March 2021, 12:44.

Working...
X