• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MS Teams keeps killing my headset?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I determined that the issue I was having with mine was somehow linked to USB... if my machine was running for long periods the headset would start to get little glitches but rebooting (or unplugging and plugging back in) would resolve it. Had similar on my USB web-cam. Unclear if it was a hardware issue on an ageing Mac or a driver/OS glitch but my shiny new Mac has built-in mic and camera which work very solidly.

Although I have also determined my new Mac needs to be rebooted every couple of weeks - odd weird things start building up. I was quite surprised considering Windows can run for months without a restart and Mac is supposed to be the stable one!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Amazon issued a no-quibble refund even though I bought in 2019, so I've just decided to buy something else and test. Gone for something from Jabra this time... they even have the "Teams certified" sticker which presumably means damn-all.
    I'm just returning my Jabra 'MS Certified' headset as it doesn't work with Teams. The nail in the coffin was finding in the Jabra app settings under 'product information' that it's not MS Certified - a big fat 'no' next to that option.

I did a google search for the part number and loads of places list it as MS Certified, so I've also raised a ticket with Jabra to see what they say about that part number.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Amazon issued a no-quibble refund even though I bought in 2019, so I've just decided to buy something else and test. Gone for something from Jabra this time... they even have the "Teams certified" sticker which presumably means damn-all.
    That wouldn't surprise me given that you are using a Mac - there's probably a get out clause (and a specification saying only tested with Windows 10 1903 edition KB123456).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Teams is just a program built on chromium - it's nothing fancier than a posh customised web browser.
    I wonder why the web version lacks many features then... but that's quite interesting, thanks.

Maybe I'll try it in Safari next.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It's a wired USB headset from Sennheiser, nothing special £30 or so but it's a current model bought to replace an older once I'd worn out. Teams client on Mac.

I'm not aware it HAS any software to update but surely Teams should just be using standard communications API to your selected sound device, like everything else, and this headset appears to work on other apps. I'm sure it used to work, unless it's a Mac OS update issue (Catalina).

Several people have reported the web version of Teams doesn't have this problem so I might try that. If so this would imply Teams IS doing something 'clever'...
    Teams is just a program built on chromium - it's nothing fancier than a posh customised web browser.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's a wired USB headset from Sennheiser, nothing special £30 or so but it's a current model bought to replace an older once I'd worn out. Teams client on Mac.

I'm not aware it HAS any software to update but surely Teams should just be using standard communications API to your selected sound device, like everything else, and this headset appears to work on other apps. I'm sure it used to work, unless it's a Mac OS update issue (Catalina).

Several people have reported the web version of Teams doesn't have this problem so I might try that. If so this would imply Teams IS doing something 'clever'...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    I did; no noticeable difference tbh.
    Me neither, but Doogie might be affected by it.

I've never bothered with bluetooth headsets as I'm worried that I'll forget to recharge them and my Plantronics cable is long enough to move around with them on anyway...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I did the plantronics hub update too. It didn't change the firmware on the device, I think it's just an app update.

As I use client kit, I don't have the plantronics hub installed on that so the update wouldn't have made any difference to connectivity.

I have found that sometimes using a dedicated bluetooth dongle that's paired with the headset works more reliably than using built in bluetooth. Maybe worth a try if that's an option.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    +1.

PC on Teams using a usb Plantronic Headset.

The Plantronic Hub alerted me to an update a couple of days ago - have you updated the software yet?
    I did; no noticeable difference tbh.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    +1.

PC on Teams using a usb Plantronic Headset.

The Plantronic Hub alerted me to an update a couple of days ago - have you updated the software yet?

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    I also use Plantronics which is quite good (Blackwire 5220 USB, or some such) .
    You don't say what device you're using, but might it need a firmware/driver update? I had a Plantronics hub update notification 2 days ago.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have a plantronics device and a jabra headset. The platronics is just a single in-ear thing with a little mic boom coming out of it and it's worked really well. The jabra one is proper headphones, noise cancelling jobby but that is 'MS certified'. Other than a feeling like my ears have been squashed, I've not noticed any difference in connectivity performance.

I would suggest you try another headset if you can. How old is the kit? Maybe it's just on its way out?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Not had any issues with mine. Teams on MacOs + USB Plantronics Headset.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Are you playing music through it all night or just leaving it switched on without any sound going through?
    Overnight it was my default audio device so it would get the odd beep. But I used them for 2 hours straight listening to music.

It seems I am not alone though: Teams audio drops after a few minutes when using bluetooth devices - Microsoft Community

Same symptoms, it only happens using Teams. I see no solution, MS drones simply say "you should use a Teams certified device"... surely MS haven't made the only video-calling app in the world that needs special headsets?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X