• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monitor suggestions"

Collapse

• mogga71
    replied
    Had one of these for a while now :

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...or-accessories

use it with a mac mini. Fantastic ... will never get 2 monitors again.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I pissed about with PBP mode, but could never get it half way useable (I have an integrated GPU on a Dell and a RX5700XT eGPU on the laptop). As i have two laptops I have the laptop screen open for both, and the monitor switches as a second screen for both (there is a quick switch button) which seems to work well for me
    I wonder if the monitors that don't stretch the image properly need a firmware update, which BENQ support state can only be done in a factory.

If you have ATI or Nvidia it seems you need to select "stretch" in the graphics card output settings. The default is "native".

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post
    Update:

Found a generous gent selling SimonMac's BenQ EX 3105R model on gumtree for £225. Bargain.

One thing that doesn't seem clear is showing PBP, picture by picture. It seems to need a bizarre specific resolution in order not to show the two screens side by side, 1920x2160. SimonMac, have you ever managed to get that to work successfully and use two different computers side by side on this monitor?

I don't see this resolution as possible on the graphics cards I have in different machines, Windows, Linux, MacOS.

Other forums seem to have people who tried it and then gave up after experiencing the same issue with other resolutions and inability to configure or set 1920x2160. If I can get it working it saves buying a KVM. Thanks.

Edit: I think the graphics card is important with this problem. If you're on an internal graphics card you're more likely to be out of luck with getting this working.

https://dev.to/houstonhhaynes/achiev...s-journey-4akp

I pissed about with PBP mode, but could never get it half way useable (I have an integrated GPU on a Dell and a RX5700XT eGPU on the laptop). As i have two laptops I have the laptop screen open for both, and the monitor switches as a second screen for both (there is a quick switch button) which seems to work well for me

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...or-accessories

4 of these might be nice.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Update:

Found a generous gent selling SimonMac's BenQ EX 3105R model on gumtree for £225. Bargain.

One thing that doesn't seem clear is showing PBP, picture by picture. It seems to need a bizarre specific resolution in order not to show the two screens side by side, 1920x2160. SimonMac, have you ever managed to get that to work successfully and use two different computers side by side on this monitor?

I don't see this resolution as possible on the graphics cards I have in different machines, Windows, Linux, MacOS.

Other forums seem to have people who tried it and then gave up after experiencing the same issue with other resolutions and inability to configure or set 1920x2160. If I can get it working it saves buying a KVM. Thanks.

Edit: I think the graphics card is important with this problem. If you're on an internal graphics card you're more likely to be out of luck with getting this working.

https://dev.to/houstonhhaynes/achiev...s-journey-4akp
    Last edited by agentzero; 17 September 2021, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you're going to buy multiple monitors, at least pay a tiny bit more for those with a really slim bezel so they appear almost seamless. It'll make for a nicer working experience.

I used to have a couple of chunky HP monitors with a half inch bezel all round and that really made it jarring when combining the screens for larger work.
    I gave away the two monitors I had January 2020, as they were getting old and were a bad aspect ratio. Also gave away keyboards, mice, everything. In hindsight, not the best decision I've ever made!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I appreciate that. For someone just doing document work, I'm struggling to see what splashing out £800+ will get me over two monitors at £150 each.
    Not much. Becomes willy-waving at a certain point unless you have the specific need.

Bezels is a good point although personally I find treating them as two monitors rather than one giant one is actually better so I don't need a seamless screen. Helps me organise things a bit better.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    If you're going to buy multiple monitors, at least pay a tiny bit more for those with a really slim bezel so they appear almost seamless. It'll make for a nicer working experience.

I used to have a couple of chunky HP monitors with a half inch bezel all round and that really made it jarring when combining the screens for larger work.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

You can buy three cars for the price of one premium car, it all depends on what you want. I do a lot of graphics work so a screen with better brightness, colour support and contrast ratio is needed, this comes at a premium.
    I appreciate that. For someone just doing document work, I'm struggling to see what splashing out £800+ will get me over two monitors at £150 each. I may buy 6 monitors, see which two are the best, and send 4 back.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Your setup and LadyMuck's look good, but I'm able to buy 3 to 6 monitors for the same price. I see some monitors even require their own custom stand to be purchased too. ££££!
    You can buy three cars for the price of one premium car, it all depends on what you want. I do a lot of graphics work so a screen with better brightness, colour support and contrast ratio is needed, this comes at a premium.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Your setup and LadyMuck's look good, but I'm able to buy 3 to 6 monitors for the same price. I see some monitors even require their own custom stand to be purchased too. ££££!
    Depends on what you want to be able to achieve and what features you want. By all means buy 3 or 6 monitors in place of it but make sure you're actually comparing like for like rather than just the price.

Mine came with its own stand and isn't heavy. I'm a mere feeble slip of a girl and can easily move it when the butler has to do some dusting.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Per my recommendation (one of the early posts on this thread), I've been using a 34 inch wide screen monitor now for about a year or so and it's great for having multiple documents open. I tend to split the screen into two halves and then have things open side by side. I tend not to have anything open full screen as it's just not necessary.
    I've got one as well. I used to have two standard fairly large monitors. Now I need only one.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    I've got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC4.../dp/B08WWL7CC9

Depends on your use case, but it's the same res (and size) as 2x27" 1440p monitors stuck together. The advantage is that there's no bezel. I do devops/cloud/architect stuff, and it's massively increased my productivity. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I've got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC4.../dp/B08WWL7CC9

Depends on your use case, but it's the same res (and size) as 2x27" 1440p monitors stuck together. The advantage is that there's no bezel. I do devops/cloud/architect stuff, and it's massively increased my productivity. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Also with a big ass monitor, make sure you have a desk that can take it, the stands can be quite big

Leave a comment:

Working...
X