• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

It looks good, but seems to have mixed reviews for use with Macbooks. I'm mostly on Windows, but sometimes have to use a Macbook for one client.

It appears expensive at first glance. I'm guessing this is "gaming ready" and has the usual expensive sub 1ms specification associated with that? As I'm not gaming and just burdened with documents I'm looking to spend at least half that price to be honest.
    I really like it because you can have two feeds displayed at the same time. I have my client laptop and my personal PC connected and the screen split so they are displayed side by side. With the built in KVM, a couple of keypresses switches the mouse and keyboard from one input to the other. If I want one device full screen then a different combination of keys switches between the inputs to have either one full screen.

That's what I paid for, rather than the gaming performance.

I have no idea how it would perform with a mac. That wasn't in your list of requirements

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Per my recommendation (one of the early posts on this thread), I've been using a 34 inch wide screen monitor now for about a year or so and it's great for having multiple documents open. I tend to split the screen into two halves and then have things open side by side. I tend not to have anything open full screen as it's just not necessary.
      That is pretty much how I roll now (especially now I have worked out how to tile side by side in OSX), anything opened full screen will be on the laptop screen.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm looking to change from two older screens to one larger screen. I'm having some difficulty differentiating between the larger widescreen models. As mentioned in this thread the font size can be so small that it starts to cause hassle with some client laptops, more so those not using Windows 10.

I see some deals on 32" and 34" widescreen monitors, but to be honest I'm not sure they look as practical as I had first imagined.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	best-34-inch-monitors-medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	4180260

The one on the far right looks usable and better for reviewing documents side by side and having lots of apps open. The height of the widescreen screens looks compromised. Is anybody seriously using one of these for lots of document work? I'm interested to hear. Ideally I would try one on for size before committing but don't think that is possible.

Looking to spend £130 to £250 on a single monitor solution, but just for work, rather than gaming.
        Even some Windows 10 machines cannot use the full real estate of bigger screens as it will be the graphics card in the machine not the OS, of the three ClientCo windows machines I have on the big monitor only two have been able to use the full resolution

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Also with a big ass monitor, make sure you have a desk that can take it, the stands can be quite big

Comment

I've got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC4.../dp/B08WWL7CC9

Depends on your use case, but it's the same res (and size) as 2x27" 1440p monitors stuck together. The advantage is that there's no bezel. I do devops/cloud/architect stuff, and it's massively increased my productivity. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              I've got this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC4.../dp/B08WWL7CC9

Depends on your use case, but it's the same res (and size) as 2x27" 1440p monitors stuck together. The advantage is that there's no bezel. I do devops/cloud/architect stuff, and it's massively increased my productivity. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
              Your setup and LadyMuck's look good, but I'm able to buy 3 to 6 monitors for the same price. I see some monitors even require their own custom stand to be purchased too. ££££!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Per my recommendation (one of the early posts on this thread), I've been using a 34 inch wide screen monitor now for about a year or so and it's great for having multiple documents open. I tend to split the screen into two halves and then have things open side by side. I tend not to have anything open full screen as it's just not necessary.
                I've got one as well. I used to have two standard fairly large monitors. Now I need only one.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Your setup and LadyMuck's look good, but I'm able to buy 3 to 6 monitors for the same price. I see some monitors even require their own custom stand to be purchased too. ££££!
                  Depends on what you want to be able to achieve and what features you want. By all means buy 3 or 6 monitors in place of it but make sure you're actually comparing like for like rather than just the price.

Mine came with its own stand and isn't heavy. I'm a mere feeble slip of a girl and can easily move it when the butler has to do some dusting.

Comment

You can buy three cars for the price of one premium car, it all depends on what you want. I do a lot of graphics work so a screen with better brightness, colour support and contrast ratio is needed, this comes at a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

You can buy three cars for the price of one premium car, it all depends on what you want. I do a lot of graphics work so a screen with better brightness, colour support and contrast ratio is needed, this comes at a premium.
                      I appreciate that. For someone just doing document work, I'm struggling to see what splashing out £800+ will get me over two monitors at £150 each. I may buy 6 monitors, see which two are the best, and send 4 back.

Comment

Working...
                      X