• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitor suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to buy multiple monitors, at least pay a tiny bit more for those with a really slim bezel so they appear almost seamless. It'll make for a nicer working experience.

I used to have a couple of chunky HP monitors with a half inch bezel all round and that really made it jarring when combining the screens for larger work.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

I appreciate that. For someone just doing document work, I'm struggling to see what splashing out £800+ will get me over two monitors at £150 each.
      Not much. Becomes willy-waving at a certain point unless you have the specific need.

Bezels is a good point although personally I find treating them as two monitors rather than one giant one is actually better so I don't need a seamless screen. Helps me organise things a bit better.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        If you're going to buy multiple monitors, at least pay a tiny bit more for those with a really slim bezel so they appear almost seamless. It'll make for a nicer working experience.

I used to have a couple of chunky HP monitors with a half inch bezel all round and that really made it jarring when combining the screens for larger work.
        I gave away the two monitors I had January 2020, as they were getting old and were a bad aspect ratio. Also gave away keyboards, mice, everything. In hindsight, not the best decision I've ever made!

Comment

Update:

Found a generous gent selling SimonMac's BenQ EX 3105R model on gumtree for £225. Bargain.

One thing that doesn't seem clear is showing PBP, picture by picture. It seems to need a bizarre specific resolution in order not to show the two screens side by side, 1920x2160. SimonMac, have you ever managed to get that to work successfully and use two different computers side by side on this monitor?

I don't see this resolution as possible on the graphics cards I have in different machines, Windows, Linux, MacOS.

Other forums seem to have people who tried it and then gave up after experiencing the same issue with other resolutions and inability to configure or set 1920x2160. If I can get it working it saves buying a KVM. Thanks.

Edit: I think the graphics card is important with this problem. If you're on an internal graphics card you're more likely to be out of luck with getting this working.

https://dev.to/houstonhhaynes/achiev...s-journey-4akp
          Last edited by agentzero; 17 September 2021, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...or-accessories

4 of these might be nice.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
              Update:

Found a generous gent selling SimonMac's BenQ EX 3105R model on gumtree for £225. Bargain.

One thing that doesn't seem clear is showing PBP, picture by picture. It seems to need a bizarre specific resolution in order not to show the two screens side by side, 1920x2160. SimonMac, have you ever managed to get that to work successfully and use two different computers side by side on this monitor?

I don't see this resolution as possible on the graphics cards I have in different machines, Windows, Linux, MacOS.

Other forums seem to have people who tried it and then gave up after experiencing the same issue with other resolutions and inability to configure or set 1920x2160. If I can get it working it saves buying a KVM. Thanks.

Edit: I think the graphics card is important with this problem. If you're on an internal graphics card you're more likely to be out of luck with getting this working.

https://dev.to/houstonhhaynes/achiev...s-journey-4akp

I pissed about with PBP mode, but could never get it half way useable (I have an integrated GPU on a Dell and a RX5700XT eGPU on the laptop). As i have two laptops I have the laptop screen open for both, and the monitor switches as a second screen for both (there is a quick switch button) which seems to work well for me
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I pissed about with PBP mode, but could never get it half way useable (I have an integrated GPU on a Dell and a RX5700XT eGPU on the laptop). As i have two laptops I have the laptop screen open for both, and the monitor switches as a second screen for both (there is a quick switch button) which seems to work well for me
                I wonder if the monitors that don't stretch the image properly need a firmware update, which BENQ support state can only be done in a factory.

If you have ATI or Nvidia it seems you need to select "stretch" in the graphics card output settings. The default is "native".

Comment

Had one of these for a while now :

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell...or-accessories

use it with a mac mini. Fantastic ... will never get 2 monitors again.

Comment

Working...
                  X