• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?"

Collapse

• Scruff
    replied
    I have one of the controlling a lamp. It's controlled by becoming a device in the Alexa app.

"Alexa, light on/off" works like it says on the tin.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I've lost the original question here but saw these the other day. Is this anything close?

Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa, Certified for Humans device: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon Devices
    I was wondering about those too. Clearly they still require a server, but presumably it's the Amazon server Alexa is running on anyway not some random one in Shenzen?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've lost the original question here but saw these the other day. Is this anything close?

Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa, Certified for Humans device: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon Devices

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    You could always hire a midget to run around pluging-in/out stuff, all that is required is a loud authoritative voice; no apps, no internet, job done.

Or you could make your own.

It doesn't end well though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    You could always hire a midget to run around pluging-in/out stuff, all that is required is a loud authoritative voice; no apps, no internet, job done.
    I have a house befitting a contractor. I'd need an intercom system.

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Would Open Hab work for you?
    BBTTT: currently playing with OpenHab in Docker running under Unraid* on an old HP N54L. Seems like a very good solution; it's easy to set up it has a minimal overhead. Would recommend a play about to see if this fits your requirement.

* Grateful to that Eek chap for the Unraid tip. Good, geeky fun for a wet Winter's day.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Was it an easy process? I have one of these wired in now and it was great once we convinced it to join the WiFi. Neat bit of kit, some thought has gone into it.

Also curious to try the LAN mode but maybe flashing is the better option.
    I'd put it at "intermediate" level

The good news is that you no longer need to open up the Sonoff and solder wires to reflash it. Everything can be done via REST calls.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Co-incidentally I received a Sonoff Mini today and flashed Tasmota onto it
    Was it an easy process? I have one of these wired in now and it was great once we convinced it to join the WiFi. Neat bit of kit, some thought has gone into it.

Also curious to try the LAN mode but maybe flashing is the better option.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Co-incidentally I received a Sonoff Mini today and flashed Tasmota onto it

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Buy a Sonoff Wifi plug and put Tasmota on it. No more phoning home to China, all controlled via your home LAN with Alexa compatability if you so desire.
    I actually got a Sonoff device to try out the other day: SONOFF Smart WiFi Switch Mini 2 Way Light Switch,Works with Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT,APP Remote Control Switch,Voice Control,Timer Function,Support LAN Control,No Hub Required (2 Pack): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

This one seems pretty neat - you can wire in a switch to manually flip the state which is a very clever addition I've not seen on other products.
    It also claims "LAN control" but I've not looked into that.

Oddly, other Sonoff devices on Amazon don't seem to have either of these functions. Never heard of Tasmota, is that like a firmware flash? Is it specific to Sonoff, and are Sonoff a known brand or just another random Chinese company?

edit: Sonoff DIY - Tasmota

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Buy a Sonoff Wifi plug and put Tasmota on it. No more phoning home to China, all controlled via your home LAN with Alexa compatability if you so desire.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    INKSPE.

Only ONE butler?

Don't you have a sommelier for the wine?
    I was simplifying things. The sommelier takes the wine to the butler who delivers it to me. That way, I don't need to know the sommeliers name. Both use the app.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I get the butler to do it.
    Scotland. We don't use the electricity unless we have to.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I get the butler to use the app, so it doesn't impede the delivery of my drinks.

INKSPE.

Only ONE butler?

Don't you have a sommelier for the wine?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X