• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I don't believe it will end up with a single standard. If it takes off, I believe it will be a common interface onto 3 (assuming Google/Apple/Amazon) standards. So, 4 standards.
    Well yes. But in theory manufacturers only need to worry about the common interface when designing?

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you're missing the advantage of doing it through an app.
    It will be updated, secured, patched etc. by a provider who knows what they are doing.
    You're very trusting. The quality of apps doesn't give me much confidence it's not just a couple of guys hacking away in most cases
    And most apps I've looked into are basically wrapping some HTTP API which is easily reverse-engineered. Honeywell, Simplisafe, Blink - homebrew projects allow you to access all of these for example.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Or, one could simply get up and switch on/off the light.
      Maybe your house is so small that's not a problem

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Maybe your house is so small that's not a problem
        I get the butler to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I get the butler to use the app, so it doesn't impede the delivery of my drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I get the butler to use the app, so it doesn't impede the delivery of my drinks.

INKSPE.

Only ONE butler?

Don't you have a sommelier for the wine?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Scotland. We don't use the electricity unless we have to.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                INKSPE.

Only ONE butler?

Don't you have a sommelier for the wine?
                I was simplifying things. The sommelier takes the wine to the butler who delivers it to me. That way, I don't need to know the sommeliers name. Both use the app.

Comment

Buy a Sonoff Wifi plug and put Tasmota on it. No more phoning home to China, all controlled via your home LAN with Alexa compatability if you so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                    Buy a Sonoff Wifi plug and put Tasmota on it. No more phoning home to China, all controlled via your home LAN with Alexa compatability if you so desire.
                    I actually got a Sonoff device to try out the other day: SONOFF Smart WiFi Switch Mini 2 Way Light Switch,Works with Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT,APP Remote Control Switch,Voice Control,Timer Function,Support LAN Control,No Hub Required (2 Pack): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

This one seems pretty neat - you can wire in a switch to manually flip the state which is a very clever addition I've not seen on other products.
                    It also claims "LAN control" but I've not looked into that.

Oddly, other Sonoff devices on Amazon don't seem to have either of these functions. Never heard of Tasmota, is that like a firmware flash? Is it specific to Sonoff, and are Sonoff a known brand or just another random Chinese company?

edit: Sonoff DIY - Tasmota

Comment

Co-incidentally I received a Sonoff Mini today and flashed Tasmota onto it

Comment

Working...
                      X