• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Mon, May 10, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

Can you get smart-plugs that don't need an app?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #41
    Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Co-incidentally I received a Sonoff Mini today and flashed Tasmota onto it
    Was it an easy process? I have one of these wired in now and it was great once we convinced it to join the WiFi. Neat bit of kit, some thought has gone into it.

    Also curious to try the LAN mode but maybe flashing is the better option.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

    Comment


      #42
      Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Was it an easy process? I have one of these wired in now and it was great once we convinced it to join the WiFi. Neat bit of kit, some thought has gone into it.

      Also curious to try the LAN mode but maybe flashing is the better option.
      I'd put it at "intermediate" level

      The good news is that you no longer need to open up the Sonoff and solder wires to reflash it. Everything can be done via REST calls.

      Comment


        #43
        Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Would Open Hab work for you?
        BBTTT: currently playing with OpenHab in Docker running under Unraid* on an old HP N54L. Seems like a very good solution; it's easy to set up it has a minimal overhead. Would recommend a play about to see if this fits your requirement.


        * Grateful to that Eek chap for the Unraid tip. Good, geeky fun for a wet Winter's day.
        ---

        Former member of IPSE.


        ---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

        ---

        Comment


          #44
          You could always hire a midget to run around pluging-in/out stuff, all that is required is a loud authoritative voice; no apps, no internet, job done.

          Comment


            #45
            Originally posted by Addanc View Post
            You could always hire a midget to run around pluging-in/out stuff, all that is required is a loud authoritative voice; no apps, no internet, job done.
            I have a house befitting a contractor. I'd need an intercom system.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

            Comment


              #46
              Originally posted by Addanc View Post
              You could always hire a midget to run around pluging-in/out stuff, all that is required is a loud authoritative voice; no apps, no internet, job done.


              Or you could make your own.

              It doesn't end well though.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

              Comment


                #47
                I've lost the original question here but saw these the other day. Is this anything close?

                Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa, Certified for Humans device: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon Devices
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                Comment


                  #48
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I've lost the original question here but saw these the other day. Is this anything close?

                  Amazon Smart Plug, works with Alexa, Certified for Humans device: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon Devices
                  I was wondering about those too. Clearly they still require a server, but presumably it's the Amazon server Alexa is running on anyway not some random one in Shenzen?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

                  Comment


                    #49
                    I have one of the controlling a lamp. It's controlled by becoming a device in the Alexa app.

                    "Alexa, light on/off" works like it says on the tin.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X