• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recall email function"

Collapse

• ascender
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I once wrote a pretty scathing e-mail about a tricky customer of mine (I was an account manager at the time) to send to senior management. Of course, I then instinctively put the customers name in the To box.

The Gods of good fortune were just about on my side, as I realised as soon as I pressed the mouse button down. It was like being stood on a mine, as I yelled for my mate to come over and pull out the network cable!
    Damn how our brains work,,,. I remember something similar back in the good days of IT support where one of the guys in the team had done similar but to one of the resourcing directors. Cue him knocking his chair over and sprinting out the office to run up three flights of stairs, make up some BS excuse about an incoming virus so he could intercept the email. Those were the days where MS Mail wasn't instantaneous so you had a wee bit of time on your side.

Leave a comment:

• firecon
    replied
    Recall only works for internal email on a 365 server as the sending and receiving servers are essentially the same. Once any email has left the building as it were it is not retrievable

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    3 pages of this.
    my boreometer just went off the scale.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Back to the OP, before 1973, the easiest way to recall a message was to shoot the carrier pigeon.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It works on the same system as long as the recipient doesn't open it before it's recalled. Assuming it's turned on at the system level.
    ok, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    How could this ever work if the sender and recipient are not using the same Email product? Someone tried it with me recently, but the original mail remained in my mailbox. Does it ever work?
    It works on the same system as long as the recipient doesn't open it before it's recalled. Assuming it's turned on at the system level.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Lotus Notes (had) has this function where you can recall an email and it will remove it from the recipients inbox

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Get a kitchen timer. Send email when timer completes. You have until timer completes to “recall” your email. Sounds foolproof.
    That's basically what GMail does. Also it can cache emails sent at certain times or force you to solve math problems to prevent drunk emailing.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    How does that work when you've done a send all to the entire organisation?
    You hit send all, then someone replies all, warning you not to reply all, then someone else replies all scalding the other person for starting an e-mail storm.

Then the messaging admin comes to read you a lecture about not sending e-mails to the entire organisation, only to walk back with a tail between his legs after you politely point out it's his fault for not restricting the distribution list in the first place...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    I have seen it working properly with intra-Co e-mails from the same Exchange/O365 server/organisation.

As you said cross-organisations it's a hit and miss. I have only used it once or twice within minutes of hitting send. Usually just prefer "reply all" with apologies and the correction.
    How does that work when you've done a send all to the entire organisation?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    A potentially better implementation would be that the server is configured to hold email for a period of time before sending it on and only send it if a recall isn't received in that time.

Good as you tend to have the "oh tulip!" moment almost immediately.

Bad as comes with it a whole heap of other issues. User complaints, challenges legally about the email timestamp, blah blah.
    I’m not sure if it’s still in existence, but Gmail used to have an option to delay sending emails you wrote late on weekend nights, on the grounds that you were probably drunk and would regret sending them: Official Gmail Blog: New in Labs: Stop sending mail you later regret

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Sometimes if you move off the button while keeping the mouse key depressed you can avoid the 'on click' command being triggered
    Yeah, that wasn't a chance I was willing to take!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I once wrote a pretty scathing e-mail about a tricky customer of mine (I was an account manager at the time) to send to senior management. Of course, I then instinctively put the customers name in the To box.

The Gods of good fortune were just about on my side, as I realised as soon as I pressed the mouse button down. It was like being stood on a mine, as I yelled for my mate to come over and pull out the network cable!
    Sometimes if you move off the button while keeping the mouse key depressed you can avoid the 'on click' command being triggered

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The only time that doesn't work is if the email went to the wrong audience in the first place.

Not that I've ever done that, of course....

I thought the photos were very artistic, the positioning of the leaves in the "Spring" and "Summer" shots was very clever. Some could argue that Autumn was unsubtle, though.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Oh for those halcyon days of the dial-up modem. You had time to reconsider your stupidity while it whirred its cogs and played a tune.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X