• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomed - London

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed - London"

Collapse

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Rent in Slough - it's only 15 minutes to Paddington.

SLOUGH | iLiveHere - Britain's worst places to live

"If the Earth ever requires an enema, Slough is undoubtedly where the tube will be inserted.... " etc.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Or get a bike and cycle. Cheaper, at least as fast as public transport and better for you. Also far more interesting that being squashed on a tube with someone smelly armpit next to your face.
    I'd rather be squashed on the tube than squashed on the road.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I always stay somewhere within easy reach of a terminus Tube station. You're guaranteed to get a seat for the commute in the morning, and accommodation's cheaper further out. Then in the evening head to a pub near ClientCo for dinner and miss the rush hour going back
    Or get a bike and cycle. Cheaper, at least as fast as public transport and better for you. Also far more interesting that being squashed on a tube with someone smelly armpit next to your face.
    Last edited by DaveB; 1 May 2014, 07:55.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I always stay somewhere within easy reach of a terminus Tube station. You're guaranteed to get a seat for the commute in the morning, and accommodation's cheaper further out. Then in the evening head to a pub near ClientCo for dinner and miss the rush hour going back
    That is pretty much how I've managed to live here for over 10 years, apart from a stint where I lived in zone 1 and could walk anywhere I wanted to go in 45 minutes or so.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I work in Paddington. Does this mean we'll get warmer weather there when you start?
    I think it's certainly very possible that you'll get more hot air... HTH

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Come to Sunny Slough. 25 minutes on the train.
    ^ this. Slough's as cheap as chips (but not as classy)

for the gig though

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    3 mths in Paddington, rolling.

Was elated until I saw the price of accomodation. Are you people nuts?
    I work in Paddington. Does this mean we'll get warmer weather there when you start?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Congrats

Could Monday to Friday lets, Rentals and Lodgers | SpareRoom.co.uk be the answer to overpriced (and in my case non-smoking) accommodation woes?

Especially as it would mean you could leave a few bits and bobs in your room while you were back home at weekends?

edit: I pay £100 per week for a nice room in Cambridge, although it would probably be double that in London
    Shop around on Monday to Friday. When I was still stopping in London in the week I got a large double room in a nice house, all mod cons and no hassle for £100 week.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    My contract is in Slough and stay in a hotel monday to friday in Slough but catch a train to Windsor in the evening to eat as there is absolutely nothing in Slough.The 8.51 from Paddington express to Slough or 9.50 takes less than 15 min.There are quite a few Permies who commute daily from London. The return fare is £13.50 but its most likely cheaper buying a weekly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    for pj!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are your family happy for you to offer pj a room in their house?
    Not likely but You wouldn't want to commute from there to paddington anyway. It's an utter faf Windsor or Reading would be far easier to get to and from

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Nope could do London cheaply if I wanted to (could stay with family)
    Are your family happy for you to offer pj a room in their house?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    if its near Paddington station the done thing would be to stay somewhere near one of the stations within travelling distance on the train. depending on your tastes reading, Windsor, slough, and a lot more are do able. The price of the train will be more than compensated by the reduction in price of accommodation. Or pull in your first week and stay with them

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    if its near Paddington station the done thing would be to stay somewhere near one of the stations within travelling distance on the train. depending on your tastes reading, Windsor, slough, and a lot more are do able. The price of the train will be more than compensated by the reduction in price of accommodation. Or pull in your first week and stay with them

Leave a comment:

Working...
X