• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Involvement in local community"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Was membership/sponsorship secretary for our local wildlife rescue for a couple of years as well as doing fundraising stuff, but that was quite some time ago. Have considered volunteering for Brownies or somesuch, but truth is I don't like other people's kids much!

Occasionally volunteer at parkrun, but as that's an activity I do, it's not particularly altruistic. Also doing TdF marshalling this year, but only because it sounds like fun.

I do give blood a couple of times a year - I suppose that's community spirited!

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Too right, even my mild mannered, love to the world happy type other half says 'They did it' everytime there is an emotional plea on TV. Don't the police only put them up to test their reactions because they are already under suspicion?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That sounds a bit iffy - Normally, people who are keenest to help police search teams are the ones who hid the body in the first place!

Too right, even my mild mannered, love to the world happy type other half says 'They did it' everytime there is an emotional plea on TV. Don't the police only put them up to test their reactions because they are already under suspicion?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That sounds a bit iffy - Normally, people who are keenest to help police search teams are the ones who hid the body in the first place!

you read Xoggoth tales?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Do footpath inspections and maintenance and on the police search team. ...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Does anyone here get actively involved in their local community for things that aren't directly related to their kids' activities?

Anyone sit on a local or community council? Arrange or get involved in local events?

Edit: Forgot to add Coastguard reserves and the like.
    Like this?

Meet Europe's most virile man - and generous sperm donor - who's fathered 98 children | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Do footpath inspections and maintenance and on the police search team. Tried helping out at local tourist place last year but gave it up, too much like working in a shop.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    +1 to this. I have spent the past 5 years bending over backwards to ingratiate myself with my local group by way of rubbing shoulders with its great and good at cheese and wine parties, bridge evenings and suchlike.
    Maybe they'd rather you bend over forwards?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you have a local Rotary Club? They appear to do some good work for communities if you can stand the politics.
    +1 to this. I have spent the past 5 years bending over backwards to ingratiate myself with my local group by way of rubbing shoulders with its great and good at cheese and wine parties, bridge evenings and suchlike. My latest ruse sees me taking to the dedan to learn the sport of real tennis of which our group leader is an afficcionado.

When I say learn, I mean learn the rules and etiquette not develop any degree of aplomb since my intention is to graciously lose to Lt Col Ashton Wicket as time honoured tradition demands.

I'm getting there! Very much in the outer circle and very much a prospect. At least I can't say they don't like the cut of my jib!
    Last edited by gricerboy; 26 March 2014, 16:02.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Run a clothing collection service? Can ebay the designer stuff and sell the rest by weight. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    +1 for FoodBank/FoodCycle type organisations. No religious connotations if such things put you off, just trying to help those in genuine need.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do you have a local Rotary Club? They appear to do some good work for communities if you can stand the politics. If you can't then stay away from any allotment groups!!!

I live in a pretty small out of the way town so have always been pretty eager to do something like this but just don't have the time.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I teach medieval combat (I might have mentioned it once or twice).
    I have to find time to do one more course to become a qualified street pastor.
    I am in the church choir.
    I used to play softball for Wales and was a qualified umpire.
    I have also run a couple of facebook fitness groups.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    there are plenty of things you can do occasionally with little commitment.

Food Banks, canal / river clearances, village fetes, school fetes or activities (yes I know my kids are at the school but its the same ten people out of potentially 2000 parents), Churchyard tidy up. Guest speaker at Scouts / Guides/ St John's.

all pretty much don't require a lot of time unless you are organising them. They tend to be body on the ground type stuff.

And yes all of the above.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Top effort everyone. All food for thought. Thx.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X