• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Involvement in local community

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Does anyone here get actively involved in their local community for things that aren't directly related to their kids' activities?

Anyone sit on a local or community council? Arrange or get involved in local events?

Edit: Forgot to add Coastguard reserves and the like.
    Like this?

Meet Europe's most virile man - and generous sperm donor - who's fathered 98 children | Mail Online
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Do footpath inspections and maintenance and on the police search team. ...
      That sounds a bit iffy - Normally, people who are keenest to help police search teams are the ones who hid the body in the first place!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        That sounds a bit iffy - Normally, people who are keenest to help police search teams are the ones who hid the body in the first place!

you read Xoggoth tales?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Too right, even my mild mannered, love to the world happy type other half says 'They did it' everytime there is an emotional plea on TV. Don't the police only put them up to test their reactions because they are already under suspicion?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Too right, even my mild mannered, love to the world happy type other half says 'They did it' everytime there is an emotional plea on TV. Don't the police only put them up to test their reactions because they are already under suspicion?

Comment

Was membership/sponsorship secretary for our local wildlife rescue for a couple of years as well as doing fundraising stuff, but that was quite some time ago. Have considered volunteering for Brownies or somesuch, but truth is I don't like other people's kids much!

Occasionally volunteer at parkrun, but as that's an activity I do, it's not particularly altruistic. Also doing TdF marshalling this year, but only because it sounds like fun.

I do give blood a couple of times a year - I suppose that's community spirited!

Comment

Working...
              X