• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Runaway Teacher Found Guilty"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Interesting story here. Teacher runs off with 16 year old step daughter, now married with kids and he was allowed to keep on teaching. If only Jeremy Forrest had waited a few months more he might still be teaching and in a happy relationship. What a difference a few months make hey...

Headteacher 'ran over school's electric organ with his car after suffering meltdown in front of pupils during assembly | Mail Online

Have to say though I am highly suspicious of grown men wearing cartoon ties. Surely that alone is a sign someone is, erm, a little left of normal.

I have a Dilbert tie (I sure as fck didn't buy it), suppose it's better than those Disney efforts 'cool' guys wore a few years ago.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Interesting story here. Teacher runs off with 16 year old step daughter, now married with kids and he was allowed to keep on teaching. If only Jeremy Forrest had waited a few months more he might still be teaching and in a happy relationship. What a difference a few months make hey...

Headteacher 'ran over school's electric organ with his car after suffering meltdown in front of pupils during assembly | Mail Online

Have to say though I am highly suspicious of grown men wearing cartoon ties. Surely that alone is a sign someone is, erm, a little left of normal.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That would be mental...

I dated a psychologist once. I think she thought I was mental.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They could, regardless of age. In the same way it would be improper for a psychiatrist to date a patient.
    That would be mental...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They can't do that because unversities have mature students.
    They could, regardless of age. In the same way it would be improper for a psychiatrist to date a patient.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Stuff about previous grooming by this bloke in the DM which puts a different complexion on it. Not that I would know as I never read it obviously.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Excellent again SE. I love people who bother to check out the things I can't be *rsed to. Your next assignment is...

Although that law does not seem to have been used in this case. Abduction? See definitions here. Common English usage suggests force/deception/manipulation/exploitation, not applicable in this case. Whatever the law may say, adulthood is defined by biology and psychology. This girl was not abducted in any logical sense.

Prosecuting him for an illegal relationship between teacher and pupil would not only have been a more logical option but would have underlined an important principle and saved us all money by avoiding need to prove a much vaguer charge.
    The abduction charge was brought because they could easily get a European Arrest Warrant for that, so that the French authorities could extradite him to the UK. It would have been more difficult if it involved an offence that wasn't a crime in France. (I don't know what the French law on pupil/teacher relations is, I'm just quoting the legal background as explained on Radio 4 earlier.)

That was also why they didn't charge him with the under-age sexual offences until today, and only then because he'd waived his right to object to the charges being brought and agreed to plead guilty: as he was extradited on an EAW, he couldn't be tried for anything that didn't feature in that warrant.

This aspect of the EAW regime is one of the reasons we know for a fact that Julian Assange is a worthless scumbag lacking the moral courage to accept responsibility for his actions in Sweden, rather than a noble crusader for freedom. But that's a different story, as it involves non-consensual sexual activity.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Excellent again SE. I love people who bother to check out the things I can't be *rsed to. Your next assignment is...

Although that law does not seem to have been used in this case. Abduction? See definitions here. Common English usage suggests force/deception/manipulation/exploitation, not applicable in this case. Whatever the law may say, adulthood is defined by biology and psychology. This girl was not abducted in any logical sense.

Prosecuting him for an illegal relationship between teacher and pupil would not only have been a more logical option but would have underlined an important principle and saved us all money by avoiding need to prove a much vaguer charge.

1. There was a European Arrest Warrant for him which was on the grounds "Child Abduction" as it's not illegal in France for a teacher to run away with a student. If the CPS then didn't go ahead and prosecute him for it I suspect that the rest of Europe would not co-operate again if the UK issued one in other cases.

2. The CPS tends to go for offences that are the easiest to get a conviction for from a judge and jury. If the jury had a large porportion of older people or thick people on it I suspect a few of them wouldn't think it's a crime as they claimed to be in love.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Sexual Offences Act 2003 in England and Wales according to this

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    But then what would be the point of becoming a University Lecturer
    They can't do that because unversities have mature students.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    It would be simpler if the law was simply that a teacher couldn't have a relationship with a student at their school, totally regardless of age.
    But then what would be the point of becoming a University Lecturer

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Indeed, although I presume any teacher that does will get fired. Can't be *rsed to look up the exact rules/law at present.
    Sexual Offences Act 2003 in England and Wales according to this.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    It would be simpler if the law was simply that a teacher couldn't have a relationship with a student at their school, totally regardless of age.
    I think that's been the case for a long time. I remember a <redacted> teacher at 'my' school in <redacted> who shacked up with a former pupil just months after she'd left the school's six-form.

There was no evidence of 'activities' prior to her leaving no it was a case of 'no foul'. Bit odd though. And creepy.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Indeed, although I presume any teacher that does will get fired. Can't be *rsed to look up the exact rules/law at present.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X