• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Proper CUK fodder!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Proper CUK fodder!"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Good luck to her. If she's better off not working, then she's doing the smart thing. It's just as smart as taking dividends rather than salary to avoid NI.

It's the old principle. Show me how I'll be measured and I'll adjust my behaviour accordingly.

The problem lies with the system, not the "benefit scroungers".
    agree completely its the system that needs changing

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Good luck to her. If she's better off not working, then she's doing the smart thing. It's just as smart as taking dividends rather than salary to avoid NI.

It's the old principle. Show me how I'll be measured and I'll adjust my behaviour accordingly.

The problem lies with the system, not the "benefit scroungers".

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Maybe we should just have a big hostel with bunk beds stacked 3 high and a locker for everyone where they can go to replace housing benefits/dole. Gruel can be served 3 times a day.

People should be saving money when they're in the jobs so that if they are unemployed they can carry on with a normal life whilst looking for another job - aka private social security. If they're incapable of doing this they can go and life in dole-camp.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    In actual money received into her bank account Leanna receives £8,904 a year. This is nearly £2,000 less cash than a Minimum Wage Job would pay a year.
    so we compare it to a minimum wage job and say its 'NEARLY £2000 less' one assumes all people on minimum wage - live for free, don't pay Council tax, , don't pay to travel to work etc.

Leanne's rent is £444 a month but the average for Croydon is £840 (proof here).
    Basically she has £700 pounds of discretionary spending (costs within her control) most lower rate workers would dream of such riches. She also has the time to make efficiencies.

pathetic lefty analysis.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    There should be a return to hostels for unmarried mothers instead of first sprog == free house.
    agree with a no male visitors in room policy.

plus a creche and a series of work options.

No reason why we should pay for them to be idle, if they want to stay home and play mummy they should get themself in a position to pay for it. (Rough I know).

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Hahaha I wouldn't call it cool but basically the whole family i.e. uncles, aunties and cousins more or less do it though some of them are exceptions like me. My mum blew all her benefits on fags, drink and gambling on the slot machines while she was playing bingo.

So when people say what about the kids? what about them they're not seeing any of the money. I am the eldest of 3 my two brothers work too, the one is 3 years younger than me and is a bricklayer he finished high school but didn't have decent grades but took the apprenticeship route on £40 a week for the first 18 months and then a bit more after that for the remaining 18 months.

The youngest is 6 years younger than me and didn't even finish high school instead he got a job when he was 14 labouring for a roofer and now has his own business installing roofing systems etc.
    Dont think your mum is the only one to blow her benefits on this sort of thing to be honest....

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    And now, some facts that the Daily Mail unaccountably left out of its story: The Green Benches: In defence of Leanna Broderick, the single mother whose life was caricatured by the Daily Mail.
    How does she save £250/month though out of that?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm sure russell will be along to advocate mandatory abortions or something soon.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    There should be a return to hostels for unmarried mothers instead of first sprog == free house.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Benefits calculator

How to use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Lots of tax credits.
    any idea how much? I'm trying to find out how much better off (or not) someone is claiming benefits vs working. I've been through the benefits adviser online, and it isn't that helpful.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    to add a couple of facts to the thread - according to uktaxcalculators.co.uk, you would have to be earning £19041.12 gross to clear £15480.

A 20 year old earning minimum wage would earn 37.5x4.98*52 = £9711 (assuming 37.5 hour week), only taking home £9135.52 after tax.

Not sure what tax credits etc, the worker would get but I think it is quite sobering really.
    Lots of tax credits.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    LOL. Thats quite cool having a mother caught for benefits fiddling.

So you are the black sheep of the family I take it actually working and stuff?
    Hahaha I wouldn't call it cool but basically the whole family i.e. uncles, aunties and cousins more or less do it though some of them are exceptions like me. My mum blew all her benefits on fags, drink and gambling on the slot machines while she was playing bingo.

So when people say what about the kids? what about them they're not seeing any of the money. I am the eldest of 3 my two brothers work too, the one is 3 years younger than me and is a bricklayer he finished high school but didn't have decent grades but took the apprenticeship route on £40 a week for the first 18 months and then a bit more after that for the remaining 18 months.

The youngest is 6 years younger than me and didn't even finish high school instead he got a job when he was 14 labouring for a roofer and now has his own business installing roofing systems etc.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    to add a couple of facts to the thread - according to uktaxcalculators.co.uk, you would have to be earning £19041.12 gross to clear £15480.

A 20 year old earning minimum wage would earn 37.5x4.98*52 = £9711 (assuming 37.5 hour week), only taking home £9135.52 after tax.

Not sure what tax credits etc, the worker would get but I think it is quite sobering really.

If you read both articles, and believe it all, there is no way she could save £2k but apparently her parents and the father of her children chip in so without knowing the details of that we can't say for sure.

I just hope they do a full investigation and get the CSA involved. If she can save £2k and pay for lots of other luxuries, even with help from relatives, she gets too many benefits.

Anecdotally, everyone I know that is living off benefits seems able to afford luxuries - fags, betting on the football, going out clubbing etc. While there may be exceptions, I think most benefit recipients get too many benefits. I say give them a roof over their heads and the essentials - food, clothes etc but don't let them handle any cash - for instance, get Tesco to give them a weekly delivery of food - I'm sure Tesco would love to do this and at a significant discount over in-store prices thereby saving even more for the tax payer.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    And now, some facts that the Daily Mail unaccountably left out of its story: The Green Benches: In defence of Leanna Broderick, the single mother whose life was caricatured by the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X