• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Knee jerk of the year so far?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    There is a deterrent aspect in the 6 months
    Quite agree. It may make bloody egotists like him think again.

But is it really so different to protests outside embassies etc that also cause massive inconvenience and loss for others due to road and business closures and so on? In London especially, they are too often about foreign issues that are nothing to do with, and of no interest to, UK citizens in general. The Tamil protests in 2009 cost us £7 million in police overtime alone. Peacefully standing around with placards is fine but making people miss a day's pay or ruining their holiday for something that is if no interest to them isn't. Neither is hugely hiking up police costs.

Maybe they should tighten up on protests generally, let a magistrate weigh up the public interest and decide the scale.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Should be deported to Australia, that's what we do with those types...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    With all the cuts you'd think he'd not have time for larking about like that.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I disagree, I think that his motives were sound and the wellbeing of a nation as a whole is more important than a sporting event.
    Why were his motives sound? He is clearly a pathetic individual with a huge chip on his shoulder that no one is interested in so in order to attract disproportionate attention to himself he undertakes a disproportionate act.

As for "well being of the nation" I am interested to know what it is he did that was in the interests of the nation?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Ah, just seen he's Australian.

Nothing to see here.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That hardly measures against the impact the new IR35 rules on all contracts over £220 a day will have on Government IT projects. See http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html

Unfortunately the sheer scale of the consequences will really only become obvious sometime after march next year.
    I don't earn £220 a day.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Bloody immigrants

The man, who had moved to the UK from Australia
    Coming here and disrupting our culture

The daily wail

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    If they gave him 2 weeks then there would have been a dozen folk down next year waiting to jump in with a t-shirt advertising their cause.

There is a deterrent aspect in the 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That hardly measures against the impact the new IR35 rules on all contracts over £220 a day will have on Government IT projects. See http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ntracting.html

Unfortunately the sheer scale of the consequences will really only become obvious sometime after march next year.
    I have been in discussions with the agents and fellow contractors on site with my current client, and the general news from the agency, is that as long as you run your Ltd company in legal fashion, then there is nothing to change, it's business as normal.

EDIT

I just got off the phone with my agency, coincidentally, and the view from them, and the client, is that as long as you are meeting your tax obligations, as a Limited Company, then they believe that's fine. They went on to say obviously this would be different in my case, for 'I' pay it at source, but as long as you pay corporation tax, income tax, and NIC's, everything is fine.

They're clearing some small loose ends up, and will issue a final ruling on it on Monday, which I will post.
    Last edited by Old Hack; 19 October 2012, 14:08.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Forgive me if I am wrong but this isn't his only brush with the law when protesting though is it? When it happened at the time the commented on his other activities in the name of protesting. I can't find any articles on it though. If he has a history of doing this and won't stop then no it isn't a knee jerk reaction.

Even if it is this guy needs to know he won't be tolerated so anything less wouldn't have been a deterant.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I disagree, I think that his motives were sound and the wellbeing of a nation as a whole is more important than a sporting event.
    We probably need to turn to Brillo for thoughts on making a total prat of yourself for a cause?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    He shouldn't be going to jail.

Just a hefty fine.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Barley
    replied
    I hope you mean he should have been locked up for longer!

I was there watching the boat race along with thousands of others, what right does he have to interfere with the enjoyment of so many (a point I think the judge made).

The cruelest thing about it was the fact that the boat crews had trained for this for months and months, put in so much commitment and dedication, god knows how many 6am training sessions, lactate sessions on an ergo etc. They didnt deserve to have all their once in a lifetime hopes and dashed by the stupid antics of an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X