• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The new Daleks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The new Daleks"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Watched it last night on Sky+. Bit eeeeerm rubbish really that one, horrific writing.
    Yep, I agree.

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Scary statues next week, now THAT should be good
    Well, I hope so.

I'm just not blown away with DW this time.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Watched it last night on Sky+. Bit eeeeerm rubbish really that one, horrific writing.

Scary statues next week, now THAT should be good, shat myself last time round with those things.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm sure the trailers had him hitting it with a sledgehammer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I cracked up when that Dalek asked, "Would you like some tea?"
    As one went past carrying a file/clipboard I joked to the wife "maybe they'll have the Daleks making tea too!"

And then they did

The color-scheme aside, the new daleks look quite chubby. Not remotely scary, more a joke enemy now than the cold scary killers they used to be.

However, I did like Matt laying into the dalek with that giant spanner.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I was a huge Dr Who fan but they jumped the shark last week and this week was "Fonzie in Space". All the signs were there at the end of the last series but this series is total crap.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Yeah loved the jammy dodger - just like Tom Baker and his deadly jelly babies
    Yep - I liked that bit too.

You're right Pogle, Mr Smith is shaping up to be a fine Doctor..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I think Gold Dalek must be in hiding...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    So who watched DW last night then?
    What do you think of the new Daleks?
    My first thoughts were
    - they remind me of the power rangers,
    5 to collect KERCHING for the Beeb merchandising dept
    Much more chunky - more like the movie Daleks.
    Dont really like them.

However I DO like Matt Smith as the Doctor, I think he's doing a good job.
    The new Minis, that's what I thought.

I have no idea why.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    I'm looking forward to the episode featuring Cheddron The Cheese, due to budget cuts.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    There was a piece about this in the latest Private Eye's TV Eye column. Apparently the Dr Who production team are forced to derive a slice of their budget from associated income generated by the Beeb's commercial operation BBC Worldwide.

When the Daleks first returned in 2005, BBC Worldwide generated £15 million in revenue from Dalek toys. In subsequent years, they've generated more from newer Dalek characters. So the Dr Who production team were basically told that five new kinds - well, colours - of Dalek would, if they could be arranged, result in an influx of cash into their coffers, and by the way, this will make up for the unfortunate cut the BBC are making in your production budget.

A Dr Who insider commented that, towards the end of the current series, you should expect a lot of "found-in-the-back-of-the-cupboard" aliens. Meanwhile, BBC management spent £1 million of their budget on a 3D trailer for the new series to be shown in cinemas ahead of Disney's new Alice in Wonderland. Go figure

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    So who watched DW last night then?
    What do you think of the new Daleks?
    My first thoughts were
    - they remind me of the power rangers,
    5 to collect KERCHING for the Beeb merchandising dept
    Much more chunky - more like the movie Daleks.
    Dont really like them.

However I DO like Matt Smith as the Doctor, I think he's doing a good job.
    My first thoughts were the same as when I saw the new Doctor, new assistant, new Sonic Screwdriver and new TARDIS. With a 7 year old son, this is going to cost me.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Ruprect shouldn't that avatar be a young boy?

Allegedly
    A young boy giving the thumbs up to a naked bird?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Ruprect shouldn't that avatar be a young boy?

Allegedly

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Not seen it yet. New Dahlicks? How? Stiffened and lowered suspension? Sat Nav? Eco fuel?
    No updated for modern times extra weight around the waist and even more attitude, I was thinking Katherine Tate with sink plungers. What yer lookin at - EXTERMINATE!!

Yep the Danny boy line was classic, I just can't help thinking of the song I have a memory of Burton singing it somewhere?

The absurdity of a spitfire in space was pure sci fi.

Didn't expect the robot, thought it was Davros's ancestor.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    My first thought in seeing the new daleks was 'I wonder how long before they show up on CUK'

I know, its sad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X