• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What was the FIRST gig you saw?"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    ...and just realised that my avatar has not been changed since last Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Just popped in for the first time in ages and I spotted this zombie thread.

Helloo all

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    A role for a C programmer in Luton.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    The Jam, December 7th 1977 Top Rank in Brighton. Best Gig I've ever been to. They were blinding in a small venue. Saw them twice more at the Brighton Centre, atmosphere was distinctly lacking after the Top Rank. Can't believe it will be the 40th Anniversary of that Gig next year.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    Ozzy Osbourne at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1989

Leave a comment:

• BoggyMcCBoggyFace
    replied
    The Charlatans in Manchester must of been 1991 or 1992, the time of Afflecks Palace and 25inch bottoms on your Joe Bloggs Jeans.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    Slade at Southampton Gaumont in 1974. I was 11, it was my birthday present and it was brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    taken by my parents to see Cliff Richard
    You poor chap!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Real concert Status quo supported by Chas & Dave - end of the road tour 84.

Great fun.

A few pub ones before then.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you exclude being taken by my parents to see Cliff Richard (my sister was a big fan), the first one was Gary Moore, I think

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Isle of Wight 1969. Also went to see Rolling Stones Hyde Park but crowd so big couldn't get near and left early.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Joy Division Bolton Institute of Higher Education 78 or 79...

I was looking after the bar to be fair, gig was in the canteen (refrectory)...

First 'big' gig was Rush I think, went deaf in one ear.

Also had a ticket for Kate Bush Liverpool Tour of Life but my mum wouldn't let me go cos I had no guaranteed journey home. My biggest regret, not long after that I was kipping in Stevenson Square over night after gigs in Manchester, U2, SLF, REM, early eighties, never got bummed...

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!
    Girl I knew who went to Manchester Uni claimed that she was in a club one night & MH sent his minder over to let her know he wanted to sleep with her. She turned him down & he was not happy.

I'm prepared to give old Mick the benefit of the doubt on that one as I've heard a variation of the same story from someone else so I suspect it's a bit of an urban myth.

Anyhow, whatever. I've just realised that I saw Earth, Wind and Fire in Pistoia around 1984 so that was my first big gig.

They were pretty groovy too
    Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 10 December 2016, 23:16.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    The Jam, Malvern Winter Gardens Dec 10th 1980

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    First really big gig I saw was Simply Red on the Stars tour back in err, it was so long ago I don't really remember. '86 I think.

Blew my mind. What a voice. What a presence.
    I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X