• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the FIRST gig you saw?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I've long hoped that when my turn comes for old folks outings that Vera Lynn, Roll Out the Barrel, Lambeth Walk etc would be long forgotten.

And now those Cockney gits make a come back.

What an awful thought.

Retirement outings to the accompaniment of Chas 'n' Dave??????

If all you have to look forwards to are retirement outings you probably want to consider staying in work.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MattFromEarth View Post
      I seem to have a vague memory of once owning a single by the Varukers. I think it was called "Die for your government" . Other than that Sex Pistols Anarchy Tour in Caerphilly.
      Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I've seen them, more than once and have a record or 2 lying around! Back in the early 80's they always seemed to be on the bill when we used to see west country bands. Still going apparently...
      Well,well,well.. Who'd have thunk it?

My bro was a punkster. That's how come I was there.

It got infiltrated by skinheads & fists started flying half way through. Even got a fat lip myself - punching a woman...classy.

Can't think of many west country punk bands though. The Subhumans were local and, er, Chaotic Discord?

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        Can't think of many west country punk bands though.
        Weren't XTC from Swindon? And Billy Idol too?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Weren't XTC from Swindon? And Billy Idol too?
          Oh, of course. They still live there too. Don't know about Idol though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
            Well,well,well.. Who'd have thunk it?

My bro was a punkster. That's how come I was there.

It got infiltrated by skinheads & fists started flying half way through. Even got a fat lip myself - punching a woman...classy.

Can't think of many west country punk bands though. The Subhumans were local and, er, Chaotic Discord?
            Were the Subhumans west country? I though they came from my way, the other side of London as I saw them with the Epileptics (who went on to become the fabulously moniker-ed Flux of Pink Indians), and yes, I have records by all of them. Vice Squad, with Beki Bondage on vocals were from the Bristol area and so were Disorder who made Discharge sound like Pinky and Perky on Valium. First saw them in a squat in the St. Pauls area, the only problem was that they were playing on the first floor and due to the loudness and amount of people, the floor collapsed. I think One Way System were also west country. I did go see the Ruts on Friday evening here and had a jolly good drink with them after the gig...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Were the Subhumans west country? I though they came from my way, the other side of London as I saw them with the Epileptics (who went on to become the fabulously moniker-ed Flux of Pink Indians), and yes, I have records by all of them. Vice Squad, with Beki Bondage on vocals were from the Bristol area and so were Disorder who made Discharge sound like Pinky and Perky on Valium. First saw them in a squat in the St. Pauls area, the only problem was that they were playing on the first floor and due to the loudness and amount of people, the floor collapsed. I think One Way System were also west country. I did go see the Ruts on Friday evening here and had a jolly good drink with them after the gig...
              Very much so.

They're from Melksham (MELKSHAM!)

Grant Mulry once lodged with my Bro's best friend's parents in Dilton Marsh.

Comment

I was a very late arrival to going to Gigs

My first was Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Brian May in Hyde Park, in 2006.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

First really big gig I saw was Simply Red on the Stars tour back in err, it was so long ago I don't really remember. '86 I think.

Blew my mind. What a voice. What a presence.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Lou Reed, Hammersmith Odeon, September 1978
                    My mistake - it was 1979

And it was October

But the "Lou Reed, Hammersmith Odeon" bit was correct

October 17th, to be precise

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                      First really big gig I saw was Simply Red on the Stars tour back in err, it was so long ago I don't really remember. '86 I think.

Blew my mind. What a voice. What a presence.
                      I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!

Comment

Working...
                      X