• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the FIRST gig you saw?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jam, Malvern Winter Gardens Dec 10th 1980
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
      I went to school with mick hucknall, bit of a twat tbh (him, not me, or maybe both of us). But I've seen him live a few times and he can do the business alright. First saw him in "the frantic elevators" doing a punk (ish) version of "holding back the years"!
      Girl I knew who went to Manchester Uni claimed that she was in a club one night & MH sent his minder over to let her know he wanted to sleep with her. She turned him down & he was not happy.

I'm prepared to give old Mick the benefit of the doubt on that one as I've heard a variation of the same story from someone else so I suspect it's a bit of an urban myth.

Anyhow, whatever. I've just realised that I saw Earth, Wind and Fire in Pistoia around 1984 so that was my first big gig.

They were pretty groovy too
      Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 10 December 2016, 23:16.

Comment

Joy Division Bolton Institute of Higher Education 78 or 79...

I was looking after the bar to be fair, gig was in the canteen (refrectory)...

First 'big' gig was Rush I think, went deaf in one ear.

Also had a ticket for Kate Bush Liverpool Tour of Life but my mum wouldn't let me go cos I had no guaranteed journey home. My biggest regret, not long after that I was kipping in Stevenson Square over night after gigs in Manchester, U2, SLF, REM, early eighties, never got bummed...

Comment

Isle of Wight 1969. Also went to see Rolling Stones Hyde Park but crowd so big couldn't get near and left early.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If you exclude being taken by my parents to see Cliff Richard (my sister was a big fan), the first one was Gary Moore, I think
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Real concert Status quo supported by Chas & Dave - end of the road tour 84.

Great fun.

A few pub ones before then.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

taken by my parents to see Cliff Richard
                You poor chap!
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Slade at Southampton Gaumont in 1974. I was 11, it was my birthday present and it was brilliant.

Comment

The Charlatans in Manchester must of been 1991 or 1992, the time of Afflecks Palace and 25inch bottoms on your Joe Bloggs Jeans.

Comment

Ozzy Osbourne at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X