• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Covid - Summer of 24"

Collapse

• agentzero
    replied
    Sorry to hear that. My friend is athletic, also a marathon runner, and has no health conditions except for longcovid. I know of others who are unfit, like most of the population, and have longcovid too. The symptoms seem to go further than fatigue or inability to get out of bed, it seems to be the return of the myriad covid symptoms after exertion.

I am confident that we will one day see treatment for longcovid instead of just advice to live with it.

In the above video youtube then recommended me this video from the same doctor who was on the BBC what looks to be 3 months ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxbiogyF38

Sounds as if her predictions have come true and more money for research is required. If this hits the predicted 10% of covid infections then we will have a lot of economically inactive people and people with reduced economic activity which would impact our economy.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post
    A close friend of mine had a very mild case of covid 3 months ago and is now attending a longcovid clinic. The shortness of breath continues. He thinks it was the FLIRT variant, which seems to have higher likelihood of lung and digestive complaints at the beginning of the illness.

The longcovid clinic is lead by a team, including the doctor presenting in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mksXzAvUW8

The take away from that is that it doesn't matter if you feel damage from covid19, the damage seems to happen even if you don't experience longcovid. They won't know until some years later if most of the population have cardiovascular damage after each infection, even in patients with no symptoms or in very mild cases, like my friend.

It's a bit scary what is happening and nobody is really talking about it.
    As a long COVID sufferer, following 3 bouts of COVID the worst of which was only like a very bad cold, I know the impact it has on your health. Extreme fatigue, breathlessness, joint & muscle pain, brain fog, heart racing, sleep problems and much more. I know plenty of people who are suffering, many much worse than me, yet friends and family look at me blankly if I ever mention it (I try not to) because they don't know anyone else with the condition.

Just like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME, it has no preferred target demographic and has severely affected previously fit 20-somethings just as badly as sedentary middle-agers with poor diet & health. There is no known cure so far.

Like your friend, I've attended a long COVID clinic, which was really just an online talking shop explaining how to live with the condition rather than offering any solutions, because there are none. The best part of it was connecting with other patients and realising that I wasn't going mad, others are really going through the same thing.

As you say, it's going very much under the radar, but it's almost certainly having a significant effect on the health of the nation and many people are no longer able to work as they used to. I think this will be a long term legacy of COVID that governments have yet to take seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I can’t fault the way A&E dealt with me however, it was apparent that the covid information and statistics were (and are) in a mess. The local hospital is taking on around 50 covid cases a day but the statistics for the entire county only shows 400 per week for 20 hospitals.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    A close friend of mine had a very mild case of covid 3 months ago and is now attending a longcovid clinic. The shortness of breath continues. He thinks it was the FLIRT variant, which seems to have higher likelihood of lung and digestive complaints at the beginning of the illness.

The longcovid clinic is lead by a team, including the doctor presenting in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mksXzAvUW8

The take away from that is that it doesn't matter if you feel damage from covid19, the damage seems to happen even if you don't experience longcovid. They won't know until some years later if most of the population have cardiovascular damage after each infection, even in patients with no symptoms or in very mild cases, like my friend.

It's a bit scary what is happening and nobody is really talking about it.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Probably infected from her pupils at the school where she teachers
    Teachering is a risky occupation

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    It's not going away any time soon. Like flu it will keep popping up in various iterations. Just something else to live with.
    Aye. Once the Chinese have done their gain of function thing on their nice new Ebola-lite virus it'll probably kill us all.

I caught some variety of the Chinese plague back in January with a curious set of symptoms.

It either returned or I caught another less vile version in March/April.

And at the beginning of June I went down with yet another version with a particularly unpleasant cough.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Vaccination won't prevent you from catching Covid - it's only supposed to help prevent it from killing you - as is clearly documented.
    It's to help reduce the severity of the symptoms - therefore reducing deaths, hospitalisations, feeling unwell and a tad under the weather, can't really put my finger on it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I felt fine out on a walk Friday, within an hour I was repeatedly vomiting clear liquid, very dizzy and sweating. Went straight to A&E, first class service no waiting, put on a drip and they ran blood tests and a covid test.

I am fully vaccinated hence I was shocked the covid test came back positive.
    You really shouldn't have drunk that half-pint of knock-off vodka before setting out.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I felt fine out on a walk Friday, within an hour I was repeatedly vomiting clear liquid, very dizzy and sweating. Went straight to A&E, first class service no waiting, put on a drip and they ran blood tests and a covid test.

Vaccination won't prevent you from catching Covid - it's only supposed to help prevent it from killing you - as is clearly documented.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    It's not going away any time soon. Like flu it will keep popping up in various iterations. Just something else to live with.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

I'm pretty sure my wife and I had it. And our daughter. Probably infected from her pupils at the school where she teachers. Not many symptoms but suddenly very fatigued for about a week.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Set conspiracymode On

Hmm... The weather's turned nice and the Tories are heading for a big election loss.

Time for a national lock-down to protect the public. Better suspend the voting too as it would put too much pressure on the NHS.

Set conspiracymode Off

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

I'm pretty sure my wife and I had it. And our daughter. Probably infected from her pupils at the school where she teachers. Not many symptoms but suddenly very fatigued for about a week.
    That's strange, what happened to my original post... Bloody forum's as buggy as a dead buffalo!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    started a topic Covid - Summer of 24

Covid - Summer of 24

Originally posted by Zigenare
    Currently sweeping through client site. Any of you lot seen a recent increase in the number of cases in your locale?

Going by the examples on site, it looks like not too many people are taking it seriously but a lot of those infected have had/are having a bad time of it.

Working...
X