• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "July 4th General Election"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    At least they've managed to vastly reduce immigration from the EU!

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Biggest joke this morning is Mr Infosys promising to ‘cap’ immigration, after 14 years in power which started with the Tories promising to limit immigration to the “tens of thousands” and ended with the government rubber-stamping millions of visas for non-EU immigrants from multiple piss-poor countries to help them and their families to move permanently to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
    With regards IR35.

I would prefer HMRC to be fixed/modernised for the 21st Century.

With issues like marginal tax rates of over 80% for some people. Loan charge etc. Treating a person as an employee for tax purposes only

However the ones who gain the most from gaming the tax system are those in Westminster.

I do not hear any of the parties offering to sort out HMRC, none of them.
    I agree. It needs ministerial oversight and Harra charged with corporate manslaughter for the way his staff, under his direction, have driven people to suicide.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    If I had the cash to throw away, I'd stand as the 'none of the above' party. No policies, just a simple option for people who want to vote but don't want to give their vote to anyone else on the ballot paper.

Sadly, I suspect, I might accidentally get selected...

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    With regards IR35.

I would prefer HMRC to be fixed/modernised for the 21st Century.

With issues like marginal tax rates of over 80% for some people. Loan charge etc. Treating a person as an employee for tax purposes only

However the ones who gain the most from gaming the tax system are those in Westminster.

I do not hear any of the parties offering to sort out HMRC, none of them.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Yep, voting Reform is tactically shooting yourself in the foot.
    So who do people vote for.

I have resorted to voting NONE.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Any that do are voting for Labour, who hate freelance workers.

HTH...
    Yep, voting Reform is tactically shooting yourself in the foot.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Reform is the only party with this policy: Abolish IR35, any contractor that does not vote reform should hang their head in shame.
    Any that do are voting for Labour, who hate freelance workers.

HTH...

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

You need your brain examined
    Reform is the only party with this policy: Abolish IR35, any contractor that does not vote reform should hang their head in shame.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post
    Farage is back! Can’t say that I’m a fan of the poison he sometimes brings to the table but if he succeeds in his desire to make this an Immigration Election and helps throw out the odious Mr Infosys on American Independence Day, so be it. Hopefully Sunak and his grifter wife fu*k off to America soon after, or to India to head their central bank. Maybe then the Tories can go back to basics and build a proper small-c conservative alternative.

I’ve never voted for a non-Tory candidate in a GE (not that it makes a difference in my seat, it’s safely Tory) but this time I’ll either vote for Reform (if there are any local polls and they predict a comfortable Tory victory) or for whichever of Reform/Lab/LD stand a chance of defeating them.
    You need your brain examined

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Farage is back! Can’t say that I’m a fan of the poison he sometimes brings to the table but if he succeeds in his desire to make this an Immigration Election and helps throw out the odious Mr Infosys on American Independence Day, so be it. Hopefully Sunak and his grifter wife fu*k off to America soon after, or to India to head their central bank. Maybe then the Tories can go back to basics and build a proper small-c conservative alternative.

I’ve never voted for a non-Tory candidate in a GE (not that it makes a difference in my seat, it’s safely Tory) but this time I’ll either vote for Reform (if there are any local polls and they predict a comfortable Tory victory) or for whichever of Reform/Lab/LD stand a chance of defeating them.
    Last edited by sreed; 3 June 2024, 18:56.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Now Farage enters the ring.

Pity those in Clacton.
    https://news.sky.com/story/election-...-live-12593360

Apparently first yougov poll has dropped. Labour has massive victory.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-co...-poll-13147370
    I'm beginning to disbelieve all these polls. They show no movement of any kind anywhere, regardless of who is doing or saying stuff. The Beeb's poll of polls hasn't moved outside the margin of error for weeks now, but lots of man in the street interviews show an awfully large percentage of don't knows...

Sod it, I'm off to the Med for a couple of weeks!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Now Farage enters the ring.

Pity those in Clacton.
    https://news.sky.com/story/election-...-live-12593360

Apparently first yougov poll has dropped. Labour has massive victory.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-co...-poll-13147370

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Talking of Fake News, B3TA made it on the news as the numpty reporter thought that B3TA content is AI generated!

https://b3ta.com/links/Those_naughty...the_news_again

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Fake News being pushed about the election -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ww6vz1l81o

Videos which have racked up hundreds of thousands of views have promoted unfounded rumours that a major scandal prompted Rishi Sunak to call an early election and the baseless claim that Sir Keir Starmer was responsible for the failure to prosecute serial paedophile Jimmy Savile.

Satirical, fake AI-generated clips show Rishi Sunak declaring, “Please don’t vote us out, we would be proper gutted!” and making unevidenced claims about how the Conservative leader is spending public money - including how he will send his “mates loads of dosh”.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X