• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "72% of Turkeys vote for Hamas"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well Israel has a pretty relaxed attitude to Arab citizens, that is most definitely not reciprocated in Arab lands. Try having a look how many Jews are left in the surrounding Arab countries.

Before departing the Gaza strip in 2005 Israel removed every jew knowing they would likely be killed by Hamas etc.

There is also a religious division, Hamas also hate Christians, many Arabic states actively discriminate based on religion.

My point its not just a Muslim -> jew hatred its also an Arab -> jew hate.
    Concentrating instead on the illegal occupation of lands in the West Bank.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ah, it's only "Arabs" that think there is religious division in the region, and there was me thinking that most of the world saw religious division in it.
    Well Israel has a pretty relaxed attitude to Arab citizens, that is most definitely not reciprocated in Arab lands. Try having a look how many Jews are left in the surrounding Arab countries.

Before departing the Gaza strip in 2005 Israel removed every jew knowing they would likely be killed by Hamas etc.

There is also a religious division, Hamas also hate Christians, many Arabic states actively discriminate based on religion.

My point its not just a Muslim -> jew hatred its also an Arab -> jew hate.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So it is claimed. But not all of us believe that.
    I think you will find that is a common factor across all the Abrahamic religions though. Other pantheons are available.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Way more complicated than that. The basic driver to the conflict is that they (and we) all worship the same God
    So it is claimed. But not all of us believe that.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Way more complicated than that. The basic driver to the conflict is that they (and we) all worship the same God, the debate is over which prophet and which variation of their teachings you choose to follow, what your view on heretics is like and to what degree you address that view. Some, clearly, are still in the 13th Century, others are more tolerant - regardless of professed religion.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Ah, it's only "Arabs" that think there is religious division in the region, and there was me thinking that most of the world saw religious division in it.
    Way more complicated than that. The basic driver to the conflict is that they (and we) all worship the same God, the debate is over which prophet and which variation of their teachings you choose to follow, what your view on heretics is like and to what degree you address that view. Some, clearly, are still in the 13th Century, others are more tolerant - regardless of professed religion.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

I specifically wasn't blaming Islam but the region is very much divided in Arab minds on religious grounds.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

explain to the class please
    I'm asking you, as you made the statement. Please explain why in your own words "Not sure we can blame Islam because that arrived 1400 years later the Arabs hated the the Jews well before then.".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Did you stop to wonder how the tribe of Judah got all that extra land? Did they have wars with other people (their distant relatives)?

Not sure who is blaming Islam. I was just trying to improve your knowledge of the Abrahamic line, how three main religions all come from one family. One father two different mothers (one a slave, one his wife).
    It was founded a while ago 10th century BCE. It was a little bigger than current Israel. As always lots of people fought over it during history. We had the same in Ireland, Scotland and Wales its still a regularly discussed subject. We haven't suffered parascending gang rapists here though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Judah

I specifically wasn't blaming Islam but the region is very much divided in Arab minds on religious grounds.

So they ate a lot of wheat, because they were inter-bred?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Why was that, then?
    explain to the class please

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Oh dear. "Call me Ishmael."
    Different whales, different times.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Maybe they should have been given King David's lands? That would have upset the Saudis.

https://www.cfi.org.uk/downloads/Map...History-v5.pdf
    Did you stop to wonder how the tribe of Judah got all that extra land? Did they have wars with other people (their distant relatives)?

Not sure we can blame Islam because that arrived 1400 years later the Arabs hated the the Jews well before then.
    Not sure who is blaming Islam. I was just trying to improve your knowledge of the Abrahamic line, how three main religions all come from one family. One father two different mothers (one a slave, one his wife).

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

So Israel got Judah in the Balfour mandate plus a few other small areas, they were happy with that.

Maybe they should have been given King David's lands? That would have upset the Saudis.

Not sure we can blame Islam because that arrived 1400 years later the Arabs hated the the Jews well before then.

What the Israelis have now is less than they had before the Ottoman's most of the land in dispute is desert
    Why was that, then?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

M48 over the Severn Crossing if you want Whales.

But if you mean Jonah, that boat was (probably) going from Joppa (capital of Dan, now Tel Aviv) to Southern Spain.
    Oh dear. "Call me Ishmael."

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Surprised no one picked up on this.

Judah was the name of the 4th son of Jacob & Leah.
    Jacob's father was Isaac. Isaac's elder step brother was Ishmael. Their father was Abraham/Abram.
    From Ishmael's side we have the Islamic faith. From Isaac's we have Judaism and Christianity.

When the Israelites conquered the land, the area around Jerusalem was given to Benjamin (Jacob's youngest son). Judah had land south of there.

Before the Israelites moved in, it was known as the land of the Canaanites.
    So Israel got Judah in the Balfour mandate plus a few other small areas, they were happy with that.

What the Israelis have now is less than they had before the Ottoman's most of the land in dispute is desert

Leave a comment:

Working...
X