• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sacked at last

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sacked at last"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    At least she lasted longer than the Home Secretary under Liz Truss who was sacked for sending government documents from personal emails.

I seem to remember that terrible Home Secretary sent a scathing letter about the PM that time.

Maybe it's the thing to do - be useless at your job then blame others.

...I wonder would she be interested in becoming a moderator of CUK...
    Maybe if you lowered the bar that low she could shine

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    https://order-order.com/2023/11/14/s...-for-the-best/

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The only problem is she is actually quite correct

How you say it needs some work....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    At least she lasted longer than the Home Secretary under Liz Truss who was sacked for sending government documents from personal emails.

I seem to remember that terrible Home Secretary sent a scathing letter about the PM that time.

Maybe it's the thing to do - be useless at your job then blame others.

...I wonder would she be interested in becoming a moderator of CUK...

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Sour grapes, much?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yikes

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/...5401982070914/

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    She'll be on I'm a Celeb next week. Farage getting £1.5m to advertise his brand, she'll maybe get £2m.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

People on a basic pension are unlikely to pay tax on interest with the £5k starting rate for savings (which, admittedly, few seem to know about or understand):

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
    Thanks for that, I didn't know.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

There's 1.2m people that are going to find out very soon when they have to pay tax on their savings as those tax free allowances have also been subject to FD. For a lot of basic state pension income people having to pay tax on their meagre savings is going hurt. As those like standard Police Officers, Nurses, Teachers and Civil servants who through getting a pay award, but not a pay rise, are now in the HR bracket and they too will be hit with HR tax on their interest. Apparently he's (Hunt) is well aware but wary of inflationary pressures. Labour will quiet on this as they won't want to effectively promise people a tax cut when it has spending plans.
    People on a basic pension are unlikely to pay tax on interest with the £5k starting rate for savings (which, admittedly, few seem to know about or understand):

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

No they don't. They know their money isn't going as far but they can't quantify it. Which means they can't really demand it. They hear 'ok inflation is 10%, I got a 8% payrise, so i'm 2% worse off' but don't take into account that the company dragged their feet to make that 8% rise cover 3 years.
    There's 1.2m people that are going to find out very soon when they have to pay tax on their savings as those tax free allowances have also been subject to FD. For a lot of basic state pension income people having to pay tax on their meagre savings is going hurt. As those like standard Police Officers, Nurses, Teachers and Civil servants who through getting a pay award, but not a pay rise, are now in the HR bracket and they too will be hit with HR tax on their interest. Apparently he's (Hunt) is well aware but wary of inflationary pressures. Labour will quiet on this as they won't want to effectively promise people a tax cut when it has spending plans.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Of course they do. Everyone knows exactly how far their money is going every month.

Unless you part of a union there i'snt much you can do about it, except leave for a higher paying job.

The US just announced the high rate tax band is going up by nearly $40,000 to keep up with inflation, 37% band starts at over $600K now.
    No they don't. They know their money isn't going as far but they can't quantify it. Which means they can't really demand it. They hear 'ok inflation is 10%, I got a 8% payrise, so i'm 2% worse off' but don't take into account that the company dragged their feet to make that 8% rise cover 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Most people don't understand that if they were earning £30k Jan 2020 they need to be earning over £40k now just to maintain. In reality at best they are probably at £33-35k.
    Of course they do. Everyone knows exactly how far their money is going every month.

Unless you part of a union there i'snt much you can do about it, except leave for a higher paying job.

The US just announced the high rate tax band is going up by nearly $40,000 to keep up with inflation, 37% band starts at over $600K now.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    There seems to be a lot of pressure to reduce the fiscal drag, according to The Times and other outlets it seems to be hitting people for just doing the same job and also hitting productivity and ambition. The removing of Child Benefit along with the higher rate at the same time is a big disincentive unless you're going a long way over 52K. And the rate around 105K is a real cliff edge. Its ok saying they can afford it but not much use if they don't bother earning it.
    I disagree. I don't think there is much pressure to reduce fiscal drag. Most people don't really understand it. Most people don't understand that if they were earning £30k Jan 2020 they need to be earning over £40k now just to maintain. In reality at best they are probably at £33-35k.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

It would be funny if we get denied the Rwanda deal and the EU implement one. Italy has just done some kind of deal with Albania.
    It would be funny if people in England realised that Italy made a deal on their own, not the whole EU.

It would be worth understanding what the deal was - it wasn't to fly them half way round the world, but to take those rescued from boats to be processed by the Italian authorities where they would stay "for the time necessary to quickly process asylum applications and, if necessary, for repatriation".

Slightly different to the Tory plan to ship people to Rwanda and if they were unsuccessful, they would not be allowed to come to the UK. If they were successful, they would not be allowed to come to the UK, either.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    God knows on Rwanda, probably denied.

Then it's autumn statement next week. Attack on benefits and no change to taxes?
    It would be funny if we get denied the Rwanda deal and the EU implement one. Italy has just done some kind of deal with Albania.

There seems to be a lot of pressure to reduce the fiscal drag, according to The Times and other outlets it seems to be hitting people for just doing the same job and also hitting productivity and ambition. The removing of Child Benefit along with the higher rate at the same time is a big disincentive unless you're going a long way over 52K. And the rate around 105K is a real cliff edge. Its ok saying they can afford it but not much use if they don't bother earning it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X