• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another Day, Another Dog Attack"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    If your dog attacks someone, the incident should be treated as though you personally attacked them. With appropriate punishments
    If the dog is a banned type or has a history of aggressiveness I agree, but doesn't it occasionally happen that apparently safe well trained dogs attack? I've been nipped by a chiwawa before.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Hold the owners accountable and there won't be a problem. If your dog attacks someone, the incident should be treated as though you personally attacked them. With appropriate punishments.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Unfortunately it is a Fail link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...S-reveals.html

Summary - The dog walker Natasha Johnson was killed by her own dog. The dog was actually a pit bull not a bully XL. This means it should have been muzzled in public and the restrictions under the dangerous dog act applied to it. The dog had bitten a child, which is why it was rehomed to her. It should have actually been put down. It subsequently bit a friend of hers and even Natasha herself before it finally killed her.

She was walking 8 dogs at the time she was killed.

All the dogs in the group were blamed for the attack even though there is no evidence of the others biting people. The largest dog in the group was a leonberger who is not aggressive so doesn't need muzzling.

It should be noted pit bulls were banned in the UK in the 90s yet people still have young dogs.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Estate / Gypsy dogs. Tend to only maul the families of the cretins that keep them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And this one is a staffy -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-66817979

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

But they have a common genealogy being a cross breeding of pit bull and American Staffordshires ( nothing like our English ones) with an admixture of stuff like Corsos to add bulk. Plus selective breeding to emphasise their aggressive side. When dogs like Akitas and Tosers were banned, the saddoes who need a dog that's too big for them went for the Bully.
    The issue is some of them have 5 or slightly more breeds in their mixture and dog genetics is weird.

Pitbulls are banned on their looks. Apparently they have to meet 15 physical features taken from a 1977 issue of the American periodical 'Pit Bull Gazette'. This is what the law uses to recognise them because they aren't a breed recognised by the Kennel Club.

Unless the US has produced such a guide on what is a Bully XL then someone has to define what a Bully XL is, and also make sure they don't include other breeds who aren't necessarily ​​​aggressive. (Though I agree any dog over a certain weight should automatically be subjected to a muzzle in public or communal space.)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by splitbrain View Post

I can't work out if you are pulling my chain or what.

there are plenty of videos of nutty yanks with pet tigers who roll over for a tickle as well...
    Nah I'm saying like pitbulls, which people were importing from Ireland via countries like Finland, they will be difficult to ban.

Leave a comment:

• splitbrain
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some of the dogs are rescues that have been re-homed by rescues.

There is one that apparently appears in multiple videos and films that is so well trained he rolls over for a tickle when he meets people.
    I can't work out if you are pulling my chain or what.

there are plenty of videos of nutty yanks with pet tigers who roll over for a tickle as well...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

in which case they aren't a defined breed.
    But they have a common genealogy being a cross breeding of pit bull and American Staffordshires ( nothing like our English ones) with an admixture of stuff like Corsos to add bulk. Plus selective breeding to emphasise their aggressive side. When dogs like Akitas and Tosers were banned, the saddoes who need a dog that's too big for them went for the Bully.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

we are trying to get down to your level still a way to go.
    What? You can go lower than whale tulip? Who'd have thunk?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/half-xl-bu...170026968.html

Half of XL bullys are descended from a particular psychotic inbreed according to that.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 September 2023, 14:37.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

No it is just looks but they all look a bit different.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Apparently, according to the geneticist I heard earlier, as they are a mongrel there is no way of defining one by DNA.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by splitbrain View Post
    Finally...put them down, all of them and anything related. Zero sympathy for owners, you only buy an animal like this for street cred or to make a quick quid.
    Some of the dogs are rescues that have been re-homed by rescues.

There is one that apparently appears in multiple videos and films that is so well trained he rolls over for a tickle when he meets people.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 15 September 2023, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

DNA testing?
    Apparently, according to the geneticist I heard earlier, as they are a mongrel there is no way of defining one by DNA.

Leave a comment:

• splitbrain
    replied
    Finally...put them down, all of them and anything related. Zero sympathy for owners, you only buy an animal like this for street cred or to make a quick quid.

The newstatesman has a very good article on this:

https://www.newstatesman.com/busines...nster-internet

Leave a comment:

Working...
X