• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Banned from FB

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Banned from FB"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    How about a remake of Roots with an all white cast?
    In keeping with the discussion, it wouldn't be an all-white cast, it would be a cast without concern for ethnicity.

However, since Roots is about origins and ethnicity I'm not sure it would work. Shakespeare etc. generally work regardless of ethnicity of the actors.

Anyway - this thread has totally derailed so I'm closing it now.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The word “historic” could appear in both, that I didn’t repeat it is purely from my typing, not some kind of point-scoring exercise.
    You are really quite evasive, showing a dishonesty to address the issue - is it just skin colour of an actor that is the problem, or is it accent and language at the time a drama was originally written or performed?

Why do you want to change the subject to project blame onto me, I’ve only asked a simple question that seems to cause you to go into meltdown.
    You're busy trying to provoke what you deem would be a racist reponse from people who are blatantly not racist. Your use of manipulative language to try and back people into a corner isn't clever, you're just being a twat.

How about a remake of Roots with an all white cast? Any shouts of "cultural appropriation" from the cheap seats?
    Last edited by Zigenare; 28 April 2023, 08:43.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

You really are quite manipulative, dropping the historic shows a intellectual dishonesty, putting 100% in provokes an absolute ridiculousness of which no-one is projecting.
    The word “historic” could appear in both, that I didn’t repeat it is purely from my typing, not some kind of point-scoring exercise.
    You are really quite evasive, showing a dishonesty to address the issue - is it just skin colour of an actor that is the problem, or is it accent and language at the time a drama was originally written or performed?

Why do you want to change the subject to project blame onto me, I’ve only asked a simple question that seems to cause you to go into meltdown.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

A challenge to 21st century Englishmen, or a challenge to the actor's ability to deliver a role?

Should the role only be delivered in the language used at the time, or is it allowed to be interpreted into something more modern?
    If a historic drama features Henry's first wife, must that be done in Latin, with some English in her latter years?
    Or wife #4 speaking only a German dialect?

Must a drama be 100% accurate on everything or is it only skin colour that causes a problem?
    You really are quite manipulative, dropping the historic shows a intellectual dishonesty, putting 100% in provokes an absolute ridiculousness of which no-one is projecting.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If its a historic drama King Henry the 8th being Chinese or Filipino is probably a challenge.
    A challenge to 21st century Englishmen, or a challenge to the actor's ability to deliver a role?

Should the role only be delivered in the language used at the time, or is it allowed to be interpreted into something more modern?
    If a historic drama features Henry's first wife, must that be done in Latin, with some English in her latter years?
    Or wife #4 speaking only a German dialect?

Must a drama be 100% accurate on everything or is it only skin colour that causes a problem?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    MF is now a mod there?
    They brought out the BIG GUNS?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I can understand what you are saying, but we are talking about actors playing roles.
    The audience are there to see a role being played. The actor is there to play the role. The ethnicity, religion, physical ability, etc of an actor should not prevent them being considered for a role, in my opinion
    If its a historic drama King Henry the 8th being Chinese or Filipino is probably a challenge.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    MF is now a mod there?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

So you're not then, are you?
    Has anyone else ever referred to you as "thick as mince"?
    Only you. But i put it down to you being an utterly humourless nurk, as a certain Norman Fletcher might have said.

2/3 aint bad.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yay, I'm representative! Except the dog. I have a cat. And it's black.

Mind you, you rarely see my family's particular ethnic mix.
    So you're not then, are you?
    Has anyone else ever referred to you as "thick as mince"?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Not just the Beeb, as has been mentioned before, according to the British advertising industry - if they claim to be representative then we should all have mixed race marriages with mixed race children and a big fluffy white poodle
    Yay, I'm representative! Except the dog. I have a cat. And it's black.

Mind you, you rarely see my family's particular ethnic mix.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

No people with different ethnicity did not exist in the quantity in the UK the Beeb etc portray them in.

Well its obviously stupid we have talked about this before Christ was olive.
    Not just the Beeb, as has been mentioned before, according to the British advertising industry - if they claim to be representative then we should all have mixed race marriages with mixed race children and a big fluffy white poodle - that dog must be confused, one day his "dad" is black, the next he's "white".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Ah, so people with different ethnicity didn't exist 200 years ago, is that what you believe?

What's your opinion of actors such as Robert Powell, Liam Neeson, Willem Dafoe, etc playing Jesus - someone who was from the middle east, not the west?
    No people with different ethnicity did not exist in the quantity in the UK the Beeb etc portray them in.

Well its obviously stupid we have talked about this before Christ was olive.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    I had no idea Liam Neeson played JC, I'll have to look that one up.

I assume it's in the usual Liam Neeson vein - "What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Like turning water into wine or healing lepers"
    It was his first film - Pilgrim's Progress.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359836

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    What's your opinion of actors such as Robert Powell, Liam Neeson, Willem Dafoe, etc playing Jesus
    I had no idea Liam Neeson played JC, I'll have to look that one up.

I assume it's in the usual Liam Neeson vein - "What I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Like turning water into wine or healing lepers"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X