• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "oh great the Argies have realised we have no military left"

Collapse

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The southern part of Chile curves around and separates Argentina and becomes the closest part of the mainland to the Falklands. Chileans also make up the second largest population in the Falklands.
    I know perfectly well how Chile and Argentina divide up Patagonia between themselves. But where is that bit of Chile that is closer to the Falklands?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oddly Chile doesn't want them.....
    They respect British Sovereignty - Hth.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

The southern part of Chile curves around and separates Argentina and becomes the closest part of the mainland to the Falklands. Chileans also make up the second largest population in the Falklands.
    Oddly Chile doesn't want them.....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Have the maps changed? They were always closer to Argentina in the past.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Neither NATO nor the UN will get involved. I think the UN position is "just talk it out, guys".

My understanding is Argentina's claim dates back to the time of Spanish occupation, as both the Falklands and Argentina were Spanish territories for a while, and so Argentina claims the Falklands were all part of the same package when they gained independence from Spain.

Chances are, Spain ceded the islands to Britain in exchange for lands elsewhere well before Argentina became independent (I can't prove it but we all know that New York was swapped for some of the 'spice islands' with the Netherlands, i.e there's precedent for land swaps).

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Nah. It's like the island in "Lost", it moves about so they're in the Pacific now.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Ironically, (a) the nearest county to the Falklands is Chile (b) Brexit made the British position weaker

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Ironically, (a) the nearest county to the Falklands is Chile (b) Brexit made the British position weaker

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Sorry, is that:
    James Cleverly insists they 'are BRITISH'
    or
    James cleverly insists they 'are BRITISH'

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I was informed they were lots of young men who were conscripts just like those Russians.
    They probably were despite out militaries small size it is well respected for its professionalism.

Abusing the white flag or red cross are rightly considered a war crime.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

nice people just like the Taliban & Palestinians.
    I was informed they were lots of young men who were conscripts just like those Russians.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do we know the current for:against % on this?
    https://lordslibrary.parliament.uk/s...as%20territory.

its a better percentage than the SNP had.

https://press.un.org/en/2021/gacol3347.doc.htm

I suspect after the unpleasantness during the war being under the Argentinians in any current lifetime is unlikely.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Falklands.html

Finally, a white flag appeared at the schoolhouse, and our platoon commander and two others went forward to take the surrender. As they approached, the enemy shot them dead.
    nice people just like the Taliban & Palestinians.
    Later that day a white flag was flying over the Falklands capital. We in 2 Para, I am proud to say, were the first into the town.
    I was shocked by the state it was in. Stinking corpses were lying in the streets and the place was filthy, with human excrement and garbage everywhere.
    Anti-aircraft guns had been installed in the school playground, and the Argentinians had painted red crosses on their ammunition stores and officers’ billets. That disgusted us even more than the mess.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Which part of the Islanders telling them repeatedly they want to be British don't they understand?
    Do we know the current for:against % on this?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Will France send aid?
    Course they will, those exocets don't sell themselves you know.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vereignty.html

Which part of the Islanders telling them repeatedly they want to be British don't they understand?

Do you think Nato will intervene if they invade? Will France send aid?
    One would almost think it's a general election year in Argentina...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X