• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh great the Argies have realised we have no military left

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Have the maps changed? They were always closer to Argentina in the past.
    Nah. It's like the island in "Lost", it moves about so they're in the Pacific now.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Neither NATO nor the UN will get involved. I think the UN position is "just talk it out, guys".

My understanding is Argentina's claim dates back to the time of Spanish occupation, as both the Falklands and Argentina were Spanish territories for a while, and so Argentina claims the Falklands were all part of the same package when they gained independence from Spain.

Chances are, Spain ceded the islands to Britain in exchange for lands elsewhere well before Argentina became independent (I can't prove it but we all know that New York was swapped for some of the 'spice islands' with the Netherlands, i.e there's precedent for land swaps).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Have the maps changed? They were always closer to Argentina in the past.
        The southern part of Chile curves around and separates Argentina and becomes the closest part of the mainland to the Falklands. Chileans also make up the second largest population in the Falklands.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The southern part of Chile curves around and separates Argentina and becomes the closest part of the mainland to the Falklands. Chileans also make up the second largest population in the Falklands.
          Oddly Chile doesn't want them.....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oddly Chile doesn't want them.....
            They respect British Sovereignty - Hth.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I know perfectly well how Chile and Argentina divide up Patagonia between themselves. But where is that bit of Chile that is closer to the Falklands?

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
              X