• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: National Grid DFS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "National Grid DFS"

Collapse

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Do point to electronic & power devices that are rated 10+ years without regular maintenance.
    Domestic electromechanical meter installed in a previous house was 50+ years old. Design life was certainly over 10 years when installed.
    After so many years the meter would almost certainly under-read, a secondary benefit :-)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Apparently SMET1 meters used the mobile network but SMET2 use a separate secure network to connect to the the DCC.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smar...-a-smart-meter
    Which is another reason why I want a version 2 one.

Depending on your utility supplier they may lie to you and say you are getting a version 2, but send one of their contractors around to change your meter and install a version 1. So you are basically stuck with a dumb meter in a year or so.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The mechanical stuff can last decades.
    Aye. What a good idea to replace something that lasts decades with something that relies on sand and software for correct operation.

And charges for reactive power unlike the old electromechanical meter.

And can disconnect on command.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 January 2023, 16:47.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I only found out this week that 3G is being phased out in the next few years (at least by some providers), but I had thought Smart Meters used 2G?
    Apparently SMET1 meters used the mobile network but SMET2 use a separate secure network to connect to the the DCC.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smar...-a-smart-meter

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
    I hate they are still 3G though so have a limited life span.
    I only found out this week that 3G is being phased out in the next few years (at least by some providers), but I had thought Smart Meters used 2G?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Fortunately, older meters last many years. I just hope that by the time they get around to it, the 'smart' meter lives up to its name and as a product it is designed to be sustainable.

Mid C.20 meters lasted 40+ years, albeit with decreasing accuracy. I'd like to see 'smart' meters with a 50+ year life expectancy rather than the 10 years usually quoted.
    Do point to electronic & power devices that are rated 10+ years without regular maintenance. Previous Employers used to install equipment valued in the millions that required annual maintenance their design life for batteries started at 5 years.

Even smoke alarms only last 10 years.

The mechanical stuff can last decades.

Leave a comment:

• Hairlocks
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I want mine when:
    a. I can change company and it won't be a dumb meter
    b. It won't be a version 1 one

In theory the last one will change in the next year.
    Got mine in late 2021 with Shell and then moved to octopus fine. It is a version 2 one though, didn't know they where still fitting version 1 still fitting.

I hate they are still 3G though so have a limited life span.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The problem with all us smart meter dodgers is that eventually they do catch up on you. Meters have a finite life span and eventually they have to be replaced, and they're going to be replaced with a smart meter.
    I want mine when:
    a. I can change company and it won't be a dumb meter
    b. It won't be a version 1 one

In theory the last one will change in the next year.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    The problem with all us smart meter dodgers is that eventually they do catch up on you. Meters have a finite life span and eventually they have to be replaced, and they're going to be replaced with a smart meter.
    Fortunately, older meters last many years. I just hope that by the time they get around to it, the 'smart' meter lives up to its name and as a product it is designed to be sustainable.

Mid C.20 meters lasted 40+ years, albeit with decreasing accuracy. I'd like to see 'smart' meters with a 50+ year life expectancy rather than the 10 years usually quoted.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

The energy company keeps begging me to get a smart meter but there's no way as I don't trust them
    Neither do I due to the "disputes" I've had with energy companies over the years varying from refusal to give final bills, deciding my meter readings weren't legit to refusing to refund credit while at the same time putting up my DD.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah because not everyone was conned into having a smart meter.
    The energy company keeps begging me to get a smart meter but there's no way as I don't trust them

What they should have done is have the main meter be the responsibility of the utility company and installed outside the property as with water meters. Then they could have done what they want WRT metering. If they do that I'll still have my own meter in line so that I have an independent reading on consumption

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post

Won't there a big BIG spike at 18:01 :-)
    Nah because not everyone was conned into having a smart meter.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Because the only choices are everything or nothing? Not to mention there are about 30 million 'Gladys at #64' in the country, their behaviour en masse makes more difference than a data centre. And the whole point is to shift usage that CAN be shifted, spikes are far more a problem than continuous demand.
    Won't there a big BIG spike at 18:01 :-)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So the M4 corridor data centres that are sucking capacity out of the system are fine but Gladys at no.64 has to turn off her heating?
    Because the only choices are everything or nothing? Not to mention there are about 30 million 'Gladys at #64' in the country, their behaviour en masse makes more difference than a data centre. And the whole point is to shift usage that CAN be shifted, spikes are far more a problem than continuous demand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X