• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Grid DFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

We were once told that nuclear power would be so cheap, that metering usage would not be required! Now we have a hugely expensive 'smart' metering system, the benefits of which are not really apparent, and government underwriting of the future nuclear energy sales price.

The problem with ‘unreliable’ generation is that replacement plant needs to be held in reserve and this is expensive. We need something to replace wind generation at time of light winds; this evening that is coal and hydro.

We need efficient energy storage to store energy when it’s cheap and provide it when it when it’s more expensive. This is not a new problem. I think that at the moment the only technology that works at scale for this in terms of electricity is pumped storage hydro and that’s old technology.

We should be focussing on reducing demand, not just increasing supply of energy. I think that the ‘hydrogen economy’ has promise.
    it reduced when we closed UK manufacturing and sent it to China so they could use those nice unclean coal power stations they were building every week.

Overall apart from transport which switched to electric its gone down.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...he_UK_2021.pdf

Usage has gone down per household. This is hardly surprising with initiatives like energy star.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ordability.pdf
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
      I think that the ‘hydrogen economy’ has promise.
      There are lots of problems with hydrogen.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

So the M4 corridor data centres that are sucking capacity out of the system are fine but Gladys at no.64 has to turn off her heating?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          So the M4 corridor data centres that are sucking capacity out of the system are fine but Gladys at no.64 has to turn off her heating?
          Gladys at no.64 can't afford her heating bill so not a problem.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Data centres tend to be steady loads through the day and well designed ones may feed back waste heat to homes. Most are busily trying to improve efficiency because they pay more for electricity, M$ for instance has cut their PUE from 1.6 to 1.2 and are hoping to get near unity.

Gladys is a spiky load with her old TV, fan heater & kettle and she will be paid for not using electricity if she chooses.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Because the only choices are everything or nothing? Not to mention there are about 30 million 'Gladys at #64' in the country, their behaviour en masse makes more difference than a data centre. And the whole point is to shift usage that CAN be shifted, spikes are far more a problem than continuous demand.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Because the only choices are everything or nothing? Not to mention there are about 30 million 'Gladys at #64' in the country, their behaviour en masse makes more difference than a data centre. And the whole point is to shift usage that CAN be shifted, spikes are far more a problem than continuous demand.
                Won't there a big BIG spike at 18:01 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post

Won't there a big BIG spike at 18:01 :-)
                  Nah because not everyone was conned into having a smart meter.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Nah because not everyone was conned into having a smart meter.
                    The energy company keeps begging me to get a smart meter but there's no way as I don't trust them

What they should have done is have the main meter be the responsibility of the utility company and installed outside the property as with water meters. Then they could have done what they want WRT metering. If they do that I'll still have my own meter in line so that I have an independent reading on consumption

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

The energy company keeps begging me to get a smart meter but there's no way as I don't trust them
                      Neither do I due to the "disputes" I've had with energy companies over the years varying from refusal to give final bills, deciding my meter readings weren't legit to refusing to refund credit while at the same time putting up my DD.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X