• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I wasn't working on the computer because I printed it, your honour"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

If I wake at 3am thinking about an issue, can I charge triple time?
    If it's in your contract, yes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

you don't?

Used to be on call, feck me they paid through the nose!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I was taught to use pen/pencil and paper to think about problems e.g. not immediately start working on something until I thought it through. So like you am I working when I solve a problem in the shower, cleaning, walking and shopping in the supermarket, etc?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The legal profession has long charged "thinking time"

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    I'm definitely in the pondering camp ;-) I get my best work done when alone and biking or just looking out the window :-) I remember back in the day (as a contractor) other contractors not understanding why I'd spend 1-1.5 hours (the longer period including jacuzzi) at the gym when I could be billing as we were on hourly rates, what they didn't realise I more often than not could then resolve an issue on my return.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

If at home and I get stuck, I usually go for a 30 min walk down the canal and let my sub conscious have a go, if at work I'll go for a coffee and talk tulip to someone. Or come on here and write tulip to complete strangers (apart from Xog).

I've worked at a lot of manufacturing type places and the higher ups tend to hate software as they don't really understand it and how it can be so expensive. In their world the more you make something the cheaper it becomes as you become more efficient.
    Now there is the problem Xoggy is completely strange!

Ditto walking & driving provide the best breakthroughs.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I was taught to use pen/pencil and paper to think about problems e.g. not immediately start working on something until I thought it through. So like you am I working when I solve a problem in the shower, cleaning, walking and shopping in the supermarket, etc?
    If at home and I get stuck, I usually go for a 30 min walk down the canal and let my sub conscious have a go, if at work I'll go for a coffee and talk tulip to someone. Or come on here and write tulip to complete strangers (apart from Xog).

I've worked at a lot of manufacturing type places and the higher ups tend to hate software as they don't really understand it and how it can be so expensive. In their world the more you make something the cheaper it becomes as you become more efficient.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I could never imagine working somewhere that installed software to manage your productivity. Just screams this company can't manage people, projects and tasks.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    Time != Value

Pondering how and what to do then spending a short period achieving the right result is better than spending oodles of time producing crap. How do these AI monitors measure quality or are employers not interested in quality

If I spend hours thinking a requirement through whilst listening quietly to music or walking the dog or reading CUK then produce perfect code in minutes have I worked hours or minutes?

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Time != Value

Pondering how and what to do then spending a short period achieving the right result is better than spending oodles of time producing crap. How do these AI monitors measure quality or are employers not interested in quality

If I spend hours thinking a requirement through whilst listening quietly to music or walking the dog or reading CUK then produce perfect code in minutes have I worked hours or minutes?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Why would you do anything non work-related on a work device at home?
    I don't want two laptops. I do have a desktop in my office, but mainly use that for video editing.

If I'd been this woman, I'd have cited Horizon as a prime example of why it's not reasonable to assume that TimeCamp is reliable.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I deliver a service, not a bum on seat. I'm working right now because I've got some spare and something to get done. They are getting what they need, when they need and whilst delivering that I can more or less do what I want, when I want
    of course. nothing to see here, move along

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

What, like the people who post pages of crap on here Mon-Fri 9 - 5 while billing their clientco for the time??
    I deliver a service, not a bum on seat. I'm working right now because I've got some spare and something to get done. They are getting what they need, when they need and whilst delivering that I can more or less do what I want, when I want

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

This is where the money is at IMO. WFH has a load of benefits but there are many many people that need to be eyeballed to work. Not everyone is a dedicated professional. I can't begin to imagine how little work some people working in the civil service do when WFH. Many of them are just winding down to retirement so to expect them to work 8 hours at home when they don't really need to. Once we've stabalised in to the new hybrid system, firms have been able to decide what to do with their offices and everything normalises I reckon the next big problem will the management of work from WFH and people slacking.
    What, like the people who post pages of crap on here Mon-Fri 9 - 5 while billing their clientco for the time??

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Many businesses are turning to workplace surveillance to keep an eye on how their staff perform.
    This is where the money is at IMO. WFH has a load of benefits but there are many many people that need to be eyeballed to work. Not everyone is a dedicated professional. I can't begin to imagine how little work some people working in the civil service do when WFH. Many of them are just winding down to retirement so to expect them to work 8 hours at home when they don't really need to. Once we've stabalised in to the new hybrid system, firms have been able to decide what to do with their offices and everything normalises I reckon the next big problem will the management of work from WFH and people slacking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X