• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christians dying out or.."

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well they/them are hardly likely to be white European as believed by most churches if you follow either creation story - "Old testament" or "Out of Africa" God made man in his image or we are descended from apes so the image would be Brown with curly hair.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-spanish-town

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Man created God in his own image, for his own ends.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

And black

Artist who painted God as a black woman gets abuse

https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/artis...abuse-6668676/
    Well they/them are hardly likely to be white European as believed by most churches if you follow either creation story - "Old testament" or "Out of Africa" God made man in his image or we are descended from apes so the image would be Brown with curly hair.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I find it incredible that people believe god is a man, like he couldn't have a vagina and still be god?
    And black

Artist who painted God as a black woman gets abuse

https://metro.co.uk/2017/05/29/artis...abuse-6668676/

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I'd suggest that contemplating the gender of the tooth fairy is just as serious (and important) as contemplating the gender of any one of the thousands of gods that are worshipped across this planet.
    The problem with humans is we anthropomorphise everything.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I find it incredible that people believe god is a man, like he couldn't have a vagina and still be god?
    (You've become woke!)

That's why some other religions have different faces/visions of God and to many appear to worship many Gods.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I find it incredible that people believe god
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

If you don't want to take part in a grownup conversation, you are welcome to leave. Theology is a serious academic study regardless of faith (there's lots of atheist theologians)
    I'd suggest that contemplating the gender of the tooth fairy is just as serious (and important) as contemplating the gender of any one of the thousands of gods that are worshipped across this planet.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

If you don't want to take part in a grownup conversation, you are welcome to leave. Theology is a serious academic study regardless of faith (there's lots of atheist theologians)
    I'm good thanks including other fictional, fantasy characters in the conversation. There have been as many eye witness, provable, accounts of the tooth fairy as there have of any god.

Difference is, one fantasy character is aimed at children and so it's accepted doesn't exist. Whilst the other is aimed at adults, so must exist. Even when zero evidence of either.

This is fascinating to me. I'm loving this thread.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    So there are plenty of mentions but you don't think that's the correct interpretation... that's very different to there being no mention.

Jesus clearly referred to his Father. A lot of the stuff he said got the Jews pretty upset, but nobody seemed to find that controversial. They had a go at him for picking an ear of corn on Saturday but not for misgendering the Almighty, suggests it was accepted.
    It is not accurate to say that Jesus referred to God as his "Father" in a way that would be considered misgendering by today's standards. In the Bible, Jesus often refers to God as his Father, but this does not necessarily imply that God has a gender. The concept of God in the Bible is complex and can be understood in many different ways, depending on one's cultural and religious background.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

If you don't want to take part in a grownup conversation, you are welcome to leave.
    your arrogance knows no bounds, does it?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    It is impossible to answer this question as it is a metaphor for a meaningless or insignificant question. The phrase "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" originated in the Middle Ages and was often used to ridicule theological debates that were considered to be frivolous or irrelevant. The phrase is not intended to be taken literally, but rather as a way of dismissing a question or argument as being insignificant.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Why did you think what the gender of the tooth fairy is, isn't a serious question?

Or don't you think folklore is also worthy of being studied?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    Just one, Aziraphale. He's the only one who knows gavotte. (Good Omens)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X