• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "General Election Now!"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Can I change my poll vote....
    In a year or two years time...

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Can I change my poll vote....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

OK. Just take a close look at their policies though...
    Yeah with Mal on this. The Green stuff is quite laudable but plans to enact it are totally unrealistic and their political views are genuinely extreme. On top of that, they attract the left-wing unpleasant types mirroring the horrible stereotypes that UKIP was known for. Those advocating violence and revolution, etc. Those are not the party values but still.

THe role of the extreme parties in my view is to effectively lobby the mainstream parties and raise awareness of issues so they have to be addressed.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I'd vote Green above Tory or Labour any day ... and I've never glued myself to anything or hugged a tree. You don't need to be a raving loon to care for the environment and have empathy for others.
    OK. Just take a close look at their policies though...

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    The greens have plenty of internal cohesion, all one of them. The wider party is part of a floating gaggle that includes genuine environmentalists and the Stop Oil crowd.

I'm not biased but i do follow history. The Tories now are a shambles through lack of leadership and cohesion.

Labour are in at least three groups, centre, left and Corbynistas and are driven by the unions anyway.

Lib Dems are beneath comtempt but at least they sing with one voice, so perhaps they are the unity party. Just don't look too closely at their ideas.

But its pointless arguing purely on the basis of party politics, so don't ascribe opinions to me that I may not hold.
    I'd vote Green above Tory or Labour any day ... and I've never glued myself to anything or hugged a tree. You don't need to be a raving loon to care for the environment and have empathy for others.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The question wasn't your opinion of where their politics lay, but to name a party
    "who actually knows what it thinks and has some sort of internal cohesion, almost regardless what their policies are."

If you think that your bias means you refuse to find out whether they have internal cohesion, or even to find out (from them) what their policies are, then you are the epitome of why the far right in the UK are not interested in the UK, but only in clinging on to a system of beliefs that have failed this country for the last decade.
    The greens have plenty of internal cohesion, all one of them. The wider party is part of a floating gaggle that includes genuine environmentalists and the Stop Oil crowd.

I'm not biased but i do follow history. The Tories now are a shambles through lack of leadership and cohesion.

Labour are in at least three groups, centre, left and Corbynistas and are driven by the unions anyway.

Lib Dems are beneath comtempt but at least they sing with one voice, so perhaps they are the unity party. Just don't look too closely at their ideas.

But its pointless arguing purely on the basis of party politics, so don't ascribe opinions to me that I may not hold.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

they are more left wing than Corbyn.
    This is why I put "almost" in my post

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BBC
    The leadership contest is clearly geared towards narrowing the field as quickly as possible.

With a threshold of 100 nominations, a maximum of three candidates can stand.

It also looks like the rules have been drawn up in the hope of MPs picking a winner without needing a final vote among party members.

Even if two remain to go head to head among members, there’ll be an “indicative vote“ among MPs, so the Tory grassroots will be in no doubt about the parliamentary party’s preferred leader in waiting.
    So the new PM will know explicitly they're not the one their colleagues wanted, more likely.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

The question wasn't your opinion of where their politics lay, but to name a party
    "who actually knows what it thinks and has some sort of internal cohesion, almost regardless what their policies are."

If you think that your bias means you refuse to find out whether they have internal cohesion, or even to find out (from them) what their policies are, then you are the epitome of why the far right in the UK are not interested in the UK, but only in clinging on to a system of beliefs that have failed this country for the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What, 1% of the population?
    Yes but they have the 'right opinion' so like other democratic situations we should ignore the facts and rejoin the EU.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I don't think we needed more evidence what a parallel universe you spend your time in but it's good to make it absolutely clear for the avoidance of doubt, how seriously we should take you.

This is nearly as deluded, Boris is still being investigated and could lose his seat.

Boris has a remainer background and I'm fairly sure Liz does too.
    If Boris isn't a good constituency MP - and I get a feeling from reports his constituents don't see him - then as his majority isn't that large he can easily lose his seat.

There as Mrs May is all over her constituency.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

The Greens.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Boris is probably the only Tory who could win the next election
    I don't think we needed more evidence what a parallel universe you spend your time in but it's good to make it absolutely clear for the avoidance of doubt, how seriously we should take you.

(assuming no more disasters, of course
    This is nearly as deluded, Boris is still being investigated and could lose his seat.

Sadly though we will get Sunak, Shapps and Hunt in charge, aka three collective failures with Remainer backgrounds and vastly unqualified opinions of their own abilities.
    Boris has a remainer background and I'm fairly sure Liz does too.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ... Remainer backgrounds...
    The Brexit vote was 6 years ago, move on from there. We've left the EU. Can't you get over that fact?

How many decades will pass before the right/far right move on from how someone voted in 2016?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    We need at least one party who actually knows what it thinks and has some sort of internal cohesion, almost regardless what their policies are.
    The Greens.

Unfortunately, the most popular media is the S*n, Express, Mail, Telegraph, etc, so the message being sent out is either going to be "Vote Tory", or more likely "Project Fear - it would be ridiculously stupid of anyone to vote for non-Tory party X because they might do something different than the last 12 years", and "remember 1974, but please forget what the government did in 1972 that led to it"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X