• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General Election Now!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I don't have a problem with a 5 year timeline.
    However the current govt have no mandate. Without a mandate they have no legitimacy.
    The honorable thing to do is either call a GE. Or deliver the manifesto (which I think amounts to get Brexit done, and levelling up). They have a mandate for the manifesto from 2019 only.

If they didn't have an 80 seat majority they'd be gone already.
    Of course the current government (such as it is) has a mandate. In fact the major ructions have brought them back to enacting the mandate they were given at the GE. Changing the monkey at the top does not invalidate the current GE result.

Lab, Lib, SNP and the rest are demanding an election because they have a huge lead in the polls. No way will the Tories risk that right now when they have no need to.

What would be fun is if Boris stands. "Expert" opinion says that he will fail because of the ongoing committee investigation - which 90% of Tory MPs say is an unnecessary and vindictive farce. Which just about sums up how our national representatives do their job.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkfF3y_4AkqVEahR8g-Gjjxvdj0z3tzWXCIw&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	4238335
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Of course the current government (such as it is) has a mandate. In fact the major ructions have brought them back to enacting the mandate they were given at the GE. Changing the monkey at the top does not invalidate the current GE result.

Lab, Lib, SNP and the rest are demanding an election because they have a huge lead in the polls. No way will the Tories risk that right now when they have no need to.

What would be fun is if Boris stands. "Expert" opinion says that he will fail because of the ongoing committee investigation - which 90% of Tory MPs say is an unnecessary and vindictive farce. Which just about sums up how our national representatives do their job.
        Boris would win against Starmer in a GE. Boris is a great campaigner just a crap PM. In my humble opinion.

Problem all along is Labour have crap people also.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

When nearly 700K people in the UK take time to petition for a GE would be a good time.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781
          What, 1% of the population?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

Boris would win against Starmer in a GE. Boris is a great campaigner just a crap PM. In my humble opinion.

Problem all along is Labour have crap people also.
            Boris is done. They might get him back as PM if they really want to destroy the party but that's all it would achieve.

One problem is that political views aside, I'm not sure Labour have got over their own self-destruction yet. The party imploded under/after Corbyn, were silent during Covid and it's really only in the last few months/weeks they've looked to have gained a bit of oomph... but I'm not sure if that's real or just the result of the Tory shambles.
            We need at least one party who actually knows what it thinks and has some sort of internal cohesion, almost regardless what their policies are.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkfF3y_4AkqVEahR8g-Gjjxvdj0z3tzWXCIw&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	4238335
              Funny thing when the party members were voting for Truss I was having a conversation with foreign born colleagues who for (some stupid) reason have settled in the UK, anyway we aren't quite there yet. When more of us are bribing the police to ignore our petty crimes or just because they want a pay day, then you know we are there.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Boris is done. They might get him back as PM if they really want to destroy the party but that's all it would achieve.

One problem is that political views aside, I'm not sure Labour have got over their own self-destruction yet. The party imploded under/after Corbyn, were silent during Covid and it's really only in the last few months/weeks they've looked to have gained a bit of oomph... but I'm not sure if that's real or just the result of the Tory shambles.
                We need at least one party who actually knows what it thinks and has some sort of internal cohesion, almost regardless what their policies are.
                It's deliberate.

Why say anything when you can let the Tories self-destruct.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well that lets Labour off the hook then...

Boris is probably the only Tory who could win the next election (assuming no more disasters, of course, and assuming he's surrounded by a serious support team rather than his previous bunch of graduates and yes men). And let's face it, none of the promised likely candidates would set the pulses racing.

Sadly though we will get Sunak, Shapps and Hunt in charge, aka three collective failures with Remainer backgrounds and vastly unqualified opinions of their own abilities.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The Greens.

Unfortunately, the most popular media is the S*n, Express, Mail, Telegraph, etc, so the message being sent out is either going to be "Vote Tory", or more likely "Project Fear - it would be ridiculously stupid of anyone to vote for non-Tory party X because they might do something different than the last 12 years", and "remember 1974, but please forget what the government did in 1972 that led to it"
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      ... Remainer backgrounds...
                      The Brexit vote was 6 years ago, move on from there. We've left the EU. Can't you get over that fact?

How many decades will pass before the right/far right move on from how someone voted in 2016?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X