• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DOOM: Dying Lights

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: Dying Lights"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There were loads of children who suffered burns, other life changing injuries and deaths in that era in the home.

Even in the 1980s things like children's night wear and ovens were dangerous hence the likes of Lynn Faulds Wood and John Stapleton consumer programmes.
    to be fair in hindsight coating kids in petrol was a bad idea like painting flats with it. Still we did it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Or you could learn how to use them responsibly like everyone did until the 1930s. What a pampered hopeless lot we are.
    There were loads of children who suffered burns, other life changing injuries and deaths in that era in the home.

Even in the 1980s things like children's night wear and ovens were dangerous hence the likes of Lynn Faulds Wood and John Stapleton consumer programmes.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Halfords?
    Yeh I got one from Halfords yesterday and ordered couple of 12V LED lights.

Got mine half the price of Halfords and with a 4yr guarantee
    Damn it! I could have got a cheaper one???

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "Sales of £1,400 batteries surge amid winter blackout fears

Britons are snapping up large batteries costing up to £1,400, as concerns grow over winter power cuts.

A large manufacturer of portable batteries, Anker Innovations Technology, has said that sales were up to three times higher in October than in the previous month.

Normally, it sells power station products to the US where power cuts are more common, while UK customers have traditionally only bought them for camping.

But Britons who worry about blackouts this winter are now stocking up, PR manager Lorna Smith told Bloomberg.

The 757 Powerhouse model, which costs around £1400 and can recharge a portable fridge for 22 hours, is sold out until December "due to overwhelming demand"."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...t-rates-pound/

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied

The advice is if you live with children, vulnerable people e.g. mobile, use skin emulsifiers, and/or pets e.g cats,dogs not to use candles, paraffin stoves, oil lamps, portable gas stoves and alike unless you want to risk a house fire and/or burns to them.
    There's a thought. How long do cats burn for?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

eBay may be worth a look.
    Got mine half the price of Halfords and with a 4yr guarantee, very happy with it so bought two more batteries.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    ...leisure batteries...
    eBay may be worth a look.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    According to the Grauniad, the BBC are preparing emergency scripts in case there are power cuts lasting from 36 to 48 hours.

Maybe I need two leisure batteries. .

I wonder if Lidl(tm) still have those inverters in stock.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

The advice is if you live with children, vulnerable people e.g. mobile, use skin emulsifiers, and/or pets e.g cats,dogs not to use candles, paraffin stoves, oil lamps, portable gas stoves and alike unless you want to risk a house fire and/or burns to them.
    Or you could learn how to use them responsibly like everyone did until the 1930s. What a pampered hopeless lot we are.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

On a serious not, check your house insurance. Paraffin stoves, oil lamps, portable gas stoves and alike may invalidated the insurance.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post

Nearest narrowboat chandlers.
    The nearest of which emporiums is just a tad* further away than the Halfords that I cross over two canals to reach.

*As in in a different country.

Just been reading more glorious good news about prospective power cuts in January & February in the event that "it gets cold".

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/prepare-bl...203200993.html

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Sensible cost-saving measures too. A little paraffin stove/lamp seems better than a candle to me, though a battery back can power LEDs for days.

I bet my stove fitter is busy.
    On a serious not, check your house insurance. Paraffin stoves, oil lamps, portable gas stoves and alike may invalidated the insurance.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

People are getting:
    • thermal underwear
    • blankets
    • camping lights
    • oodies
    • onesies
    • camping stoves
    Sensible cost-saving measures too. A little paraffin stove/lamp seems better than a candle to me, though a battery back can power LEDs for days.

I bet my stove fitter is busy.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Now where can I source a leisure battery locally, that's the question. .
    Nearest narrowboat chandlers.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Electric blankets will be a good investment for the blackouts.
    There are 12v and USB versions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X