• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DOOM: Nuclear war

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: Nuclear war"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What the f*** are you on?
    Nuclear Winter. - too subtle?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    A ton of media attention surrounding the very high likelihood of global all out nuclear war, but almost no media coverage that it would cancel out some Global Warming and help Climate Change.

Praying that Putin saves the planet.
    What the f*** are you on?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    A ton of media attention surrounding the very high likelihood of global all out nuclear war, but almost no media coverage that it would cancel out some Global Warming and help Climate Change.

Praying that Putin saves the planet.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

They had 8 years to protest against the war in Ukraine. Now they are drafted into the army they suddenly start to do so and many fleeing the country as well. Do not think for a second they give a **** about the Ukrainians, most still support the war and the occupation of Ukraine, but just not with them going into the meatgrinder.
    Yeah I know.

"Interestingly" it is the people in the areas far from the major cities/regions who are the first to be drafted plus any protestors.

Well they have been told what to do if when are conscripted -
    “Want more? No? Then protest. Fight back. Run away. Or surrender to Ukrainian captivity. These are options for you to survive,” the president said, directed at the Russian military.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    There were protests in Russia yesterday

The protesters were quickly picked up according to the 3 well-known press agencies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ations-ukraine

Security forces detained more than 1,300 people in Russia on Wednesday at protests denouncing mobilisation, a rights group said, hours after President Vladimir Putin ordered Russia’s first military draft since the second world war.
    The independent OVD-Info protest monitoring group said that according to information it had collated from 38 Russian cities, more than 1,311 people had been held by late evening.

It said those figures included at least 502 in Moscow and 524 in St Petersburg, Russia’s second most populous city. Unsanctioned rallies are illegal under Russia’s anti-protest laws.
    They had 8 years to protest against the war in Ukraine. Now they are drafted into the army they suddenly start to do so and many fleeing the country as well. Do not think for a second they give a **** about the Ukrainians, most still support the war and the occupation of Ukraine, but just not with them going into the meatgrinder.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Considering the state of the RU "army" I'd be surprised if whatever they want to launch actually still works. Besides NATO has far superior equipment, so I'd reckon they would shoot down whatever missiles RU managed to get off the ground. And finally, if they decide to use nuclear weapons, NATO would too, which would then lead to half of civilised RU wiped off the face of the planet and I very much doubt the oligarchs would like to see this. Hence the "I'm not bluffing" comment imho.
    This .... Putin may be as mad as a bag of frogs, but those around him are more money/power hungry and they'd rather risk doing Putin in than having RU totally flatterned.

Granted, in a nuclear attack the UK would not fair well either, but the RU is surrounded and whilst they may take out a few countries, they'd be zapped before they could attack all countries.

Can't see China sitting idly by either. Putin is a man alone and he knows it. He also knows he has a target on his back with his own people now so it's only a matter of time before he slips down the stairs, or has a 'stroke'.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You don't think he's serious? The real worry is that he would genuinely do it. Get your iodine tablets in!
    David Aaronovitch in the Times today wrote that the speech was for home consumption to stir up their fears and not protest too much about "limited" conscription. Any fear caused in the West is a side bonus.

Iodine tablets will only protect you against radioactive iodine.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You don't think he's serious? The real worry is that he would genuinely do it. Get your iodine tablets in!
    Considering the state of the RU "army" I'd be surprised if whatever they want to launch actually still works. Besides NATO has far superior equipment, so I'd reckon they would shoot down whatever missiles RU managed to get off the ground. And finally, if they decide to use nuclear weapons, NATO would too, which would then lead to half of civilised RU wiped off the face of the planet and I very much doubt the oligarchs would like to see this. Hence the "I'm not bluffing" comment imho.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    There were protests in Russia yesterday

The protesters were quickly picked up according to the 3 well-known press agencies.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ations-ukraine

Security forces detained more than 1,300 people in Russia on Wednesday at protests denouncing mobilisation, a rights group said, hours after President Vladimir Putin ordered Russia’s first military draft since the second world war.
    The independent OVD-Info protest monitoring group said that according to information it had collated from 38 Russian cities, more than 1,311 people had been held by late evening.

It said those figures included at least 502 in Moscow and 524 in St Petersburg, Russia’s second most populous city. Unsanctioned rallies are illegal under Russia’s anti-protest laws.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

True ... but just can't see his minions wanting to get zapped too, and all their loved ones ... if he really did tell them to push the button, I'm pretty sure someone physically close to him will pop him off.

He might be a bit suicidal, but it's unlikely all his pals are too.
    This is basically the hope I am clinging to.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

He's dying so doesn't give a tulip.
    True ... but just can't see his minions wanting to get zapped too, and all their loved ones ... if he really did tell them to push the button, I'm pretty sure someone physically close to him will pop him off.

He might be a bit suicidal, but it's unlikely all his pals are too.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Appears that senile guy in charge of the US is calling Moscow's invasion of Ukraine illegal and reckless due to being a permanent member of the UN security Council.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    I keep hoping Putin might have an "oligarch accident".
    Problem is he causes the "accidents"....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

As Putin is batsh!t crazy I wouldn't be too sure he's bluffing
    He's dying so doesn't give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    I keep hoping Putin might have an "oligarch accident".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X