• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Merging Two Bedsits Over a Kebab Shop"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    You can change address/council tax before getting planning permission?

Am just starting on architect front first, they will handle most of this tulipe (at least planning, building regs, oversight on actual work)

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    my merging of basement flat and house is becoming painful.

1) The council said they cannot merge for council tax till I have sorted the vlauations agency
    2) valuations agency said 'they always say that, but you actually just need to get the street number changed'
    3) council charged £1760 to merge the addresses. Only easy bit so far
    4) council rang today (yes a Saturday) to tell me that I still need valuations to reband the property (I reckon it will go from Band E to F, bu that is cheaper than Band E and a Band A)
    5) the scrote who lived in thew flat fecked off leaving a £3k electric bill. Luckily I was never the landlord so not my problem and the smart meter means I can pay only for what I've used (about 1.5 kWh in 2 months)
    6) still waiting for an architect, structural engineers, planning and building regs

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It’s on…
    Cripes

Maybe I do need to leave the country

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Got architect lined up also (who said planning permission is best to get anyway), freehold is owned by an Ltd in which all flat owners get a share, it's pretty small block with good neighbours so I am not expecting big problems on that end.
    I bet they are!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It’s on…

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Looking at making proper Master bedroom, prolly going to be 500 sqft
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellis_bordel_09.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	4230024

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    P.S. Mordy broke the thread

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Hang on; double to 100sqft? A 50sqfr bedroom is rather small, are you sure?
    Looking at making proper Master bedroom, prolly going to be 500 sqft

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you just buy the kebab shop as well? Will be pocket change for you won't it?
    Grade II listed, with covenants long enough to make baby Jesus cry...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Got architect lined up also (who said planning permission is best to get anyway), freehold is owned by an Ltd in which all flat owners get a share, it's pretty small block with good neighbours so I am not expecting big problems on that end.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Get proper legal advice, and try not to rely on strangers on a forum who quite frankly know next to nothing about anything.
    Thanks buddy, that's already done.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Thanks for feedback all, but Jesus Christ - anybody seriously believed in flats being actually over a kebab shop and combined being 100 ft? Guess I should have clarified that I don't live in London

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Right, looking into buying a bedsit next to mine on top of a kebab shop, so thinking to double up my master bedroom to about 100 sq ft (heavily rounding up here for me street cred). Seller is throwing in free kebabs for 99 years.

Planning permission in theory is not required... or is it?
    Presumably both properties currently have their own addresses, own title deeds etc ... so I'd find it hard to believe planning permission is not required.

Unless you own the lease to the building, you'll need to get the landlord's permission, and at a price.

Get proper legal advice, and try not to rely on strangers on a forum who quite frankly know next to nothing about anything.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why don't you just buy the kebab shop as well? Will be pocket change for you won't it?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You might be best to simply contact the local council planning office - contrary to popular belief it's their job to help you and in my experience, they are much less awkward when it's clear you are trying to do everything properly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X