• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cost of living

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cost of living"

Collapse

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

someone is making a bundle.

lets hope they get shafted
    Yep - this is a wealth transfer like no other. Strange lack of focus from the media on who is actually profiting from all this - our money is actually going somewhere, after all. And what role speculation on derivatives has on the price volatility we are seeing?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    We're not on mains gas but I was wondering why the price was forecast to go up so much.

So I had a look at the UK gas price on the futures market.

(Click on "All" at the bottom of the chart to see how extreme this is compared to the past 20 years.)
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uk-natural-gas

Scary.
    someone is making a bundle.

lets hope they get shafted

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    We're not on mains gas but I was wondering why the price was forecast to go up so much.

So I had a look at the UK gas price on the futures market.

(Click on "All" at the bottom of the chart to see how extreme this is compared to the past 20 years.)
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uk-natural-gas

Scary.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'd argue it's not really the government's job to solve all the problems, their job is to govern and provide fail-safes/back-stops/safety-nets. It's our collective responsibility to look out for each other (OK I'm not going to provide you medical attention).
    If that whole Big Society thing (Cameron?) had been any more than a waffle to excuse spending cuts, basically.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not sure where you get that idea from, who has suggested you should? I suppose embarrassment on behalf of your country might be appropriate to foreign friends, but compassion to those affected has little to do with who you voted for. I don't really think blaming people who voted Tory as being responsible makes sense anyway, but neither is "I didn't vote for the government it's not my problem" a valid justification.

You seem to be the one calling others woke, I thought?
    I was paraphrasing those on here that cry 'woke' when an issue is brought up concerning a minority group, and yet go all white-night themselves at other times.

I have a lot of empathy for those struggling, plenty of my close friends are in that situation and I help them out where I can without patronising them.

I am embarrassed by our government. They are a self-centred set of pricks ... which we know and yet many on here continue to vote in. Then whine when the same government don't help the less off. So instead of pretending to be empathetic, maybe the first step to help the under represented in this country is to start voting the 2 main parties out, break this cycle, and get some independents in who are more likely to represent their local constituents rather than follow a party line.

Or the same old faces on here who vote Tory can keep whining that the people they support are doing nothing for the less well off, but happily support their wealthy mates.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Dry your eyes mate. You're a self-centred twunt, own it and stop trying to back pedal.
    Who's trying to back pedal? I'm completely happy with how I live my life. It's you guys on here constantly whining. Some of you need to get a back bone.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

As I said, I help those I know when and how I can. I didn't however vote for this vile government and their policies so damned if I'm going to be made to feel guilty for how they treat the less well off when I didn't put them in power.
    Not sure where you get that idea from, who has suggested you should? I suppose embarrassment on behalf of your country might be appropriate to foreign friends, but compassion to those affected has little to do with who you voted for. I don't really think blaming people who voted Tory as being responsible makes sense anyway, but neither is "I didn't vote for the government it's not my problem" a valid justification.

You seem to be the one calling others woke, I thought?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

What I see on here is people constantly complaining but doing nothing, but calling others self-centred for (according to them) doing nothing.

You may well do some stuff in your community, and I applaud you for that, but most on here seem to be whingers jumping on the next bandwaggon.

And it's the choice of 'woke' that I find funny on here - get upset about certain demographics being treated badly because of something they 100% cannot control (like BLM, no one can control the colour of their skin) or those trying to escape genocide from their home countries and you're shouted down as 'woke' because those groups don't deserve help (according to the likes of the wail)

But mention that some people have made life choices that have had a direct influence over their current situation, and it's all tears and wailing (see what I did there) because their skin colour or background fits those we're happy to help.

As I said, I help those I know when and how I can. I didn't however vote for this vile government and their policies so damned if I'm going to be made to feel guilty for how they treat the less well off when I didn't put them in power.
    Dry your eyes mate. You're a self-centred twunt, own it and stop trying to back pedal.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    What a nasty piece of work you're showing yourself to be. 'Woke' simply means being aware of issues in our society affecting groups who are routinely overlooked or badly treated. It's a silly word but it's nardly the insult you seem to think to care about maligned demographics. Rather the opposite.
    Now, publicly pontificating about how much you care just to look righteous is bad but I don't really see people doing that here.
    You have no idea what people are doing in their communities or in other ways - charity work, altruism, whatever. You just assume everyone else is as self-centred?
    What I see on here is people constantly complaining but doing nothing, but calling others self-centred for (according to them) doing nothing.

You may well do some stuff in your community, and I applaud you for that, but most on here seem to be whingers jumping on the next bandwaggon.

And it's the choice of 'woke' that I find funny on here - get upset about certain demographics being treated badly because of something they 100% cannot control (like BLM, no one can control the colour of their skin) or those trying to escape genocide from their home countries and you're shouted down as 'woke' because those groups don't deserve help (according to the likes of the wail)

But mention that some people have made life choices that have had a direct influence over their current situation, and it's all tears and wailing (see what I did there) because their skin colour or background fits those we're happy to help.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Feel free to remind me again how I personally can have impact or control of the affordability of bills for the poorer in the UK society. I have empathy for the situation, but people also have to take responsibility for their own life choices. We all do.

My choice is to help those I know who are struggling.

Jesus, you lot really are turning woke. And yet none of you is doing anything significant either apart from play keyboard warrior on here, and every 4/5 years still vote in the same old bag of sh*te government.

You could ask your saviour for some help too ... where is he when the poor need him the most?
    What a nasty piece of work you're showing yourself to be. 'Woke' simply means being aware of issues in our society affecting groups who are routinely overlooked or badly treated. It's a silly word but it's nardly the insult you seem to think to care about maligned demographics. Rather the opposite.
    Now, publicly pontificating about how much you care just to look righteous is bad but I don't really see people doing that here.
    You have no idea what people are doing in their communities or in other ways - charity work, altruism, whatever. You just assume everyone else is as self-centred?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ... and every 4/5 years still vote in the same old bag of sh*te government...
    Not me.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Feel free to remind me again how I personally can have impact or control of the affordability of bills for the poorer in the UK society. I have empathy for the situation, but people also have to take responsibility for their own life choices. We all do.

Jesus, you lot really are turning woke. And yet none of you is doing anything significant either apart from play keyboard warrior on here, and every 4/5 years still vote in the same old bag of sh*te government.

You could ask your saviour for some help too ... where is he when the poor need him the most?
    Probably manifesting himself in others less C*ntish than yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    It's called compassion. Or empathy.
    When you say you have no impact or control, isn't that a choice?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I'm up my own ass because I don't get all woke about things I have zero impact or control over?
    It's called compassion. Or empathy.
    When you say you have no impact or control, isn't that a choice?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

surprised you can breathe considering how far you are up your own ass.
    I'm up my own ass because I don't get all woke about things I have zero impact or control over? Inneresting.

Tell you what, let me know what you're doing personally apart from getting triggered on here and we'll compare notes eh?

I pay all my taxes, I use my single vote each 4/5 years (this current lot are nothing to do with me), I treat every individual as an individual .... what else should I do? Go glue myself to the railings of an energy company headquarters like you?

If you want real change then maybe stop voting Tory or Labour. Start voting for the independents. Canvas for them. Throw some f your money behind them to get rid of the 2 party system we have.

Or continue to be a keyboard warrior. Your choice fella.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X