• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Southampton Flats

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Southampton Flats"

Collapse

• courtg9000
    replied
    Late in on this one.
    I know the south coast reasonably well.
    I have also lived in Southampton. Way back in the early 90's. Used to be a regular visitor to Hamble too.
    Southampton - City centre not great, head for the outlying areas or Ocean Village if you want to be in the centre.
    Portsmouth - The Navy boys love a good punch up. Friday or Saturday night in Portsmouth is not for the faint-hearted.

Leave a comment:

• Rik1087
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Are there any major tech companies in/around Poole?

I saw yesterday a few ads for an outside gig with my tech, was for 18 months but couldn't see many IT companies down there.

qh
    A fair few, LV (insurance) JP (Banking) Nationwide also, over in Poole there are quite a few smaller blue chip firms.

also lots of life insurers, vitality etc.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I saw yesterday a few ads for an outside gig with my tech, was for 18 months but couldn't see many IT companies down there.

qh
    This might help you identify the sort of companies in the area

https://www.dorsetlep.co.uk/businesses-based-in-dorset

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied

qh
    Depends on your definition of major. There's a place that provides transport ticketing solutions. Best avoided though I would suggest....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

qh
    They request Industry experience for toilet cleaning?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

qh

Leave a comment:

• Rik1087
    replied
    I would personally avoid Southampton. You may well get lucky and get some good tenants, but chances of bad ones increase, especially with crime rates around central Southampton at the moment.

If you aren’t tied to Southampton, then I would come west slightly and opt for Dorset over Hampshire.
    good places:
    - Christchurch
    - Southbourne
    - Queens Park
    - Tuckton / Hengitsbury Head

Avoid:
    - Boscombe
    - majority of Poole way (it’s either millionaires playground or dire)
    - west Howe
    - Wallisdown
    - Charminster

prices have sky rocketed as everywhere has the last 24 months, but flats less so. A 300k 2 bed potentially 3 could be found quite close to beaches fairly easily.

there’s a HUGE shortage of rentals at the moment, properties aren’t even making it onto Rightmove before they’re snapped up, so no issues finding tenants.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Did that ~ 6 months ago to IOW. Wandered around Portsmouth en route. Seemed nice but didn't experience the night time. Wonder if they've got any prossies?
    It's home to about half the Royal Navy. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    You rode your cat to the IOW?
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

Click image for larger version

Name:	lets-go-riding-a-cat.gif
Views:	205
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	4228287

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't think I've ever been to Southampton.
    I spent 3 months at Philips Semiconductors/Mullard.

It's shut now, mostly because I worked there.

My Jonah effect is remarkable.

The carpark had signs telling you not to park under the pylons due to the incredible amount of tulipeHawktulip.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You rode your cat to the IOW?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wightlink-ferry-in-Portsmouth-Harbour.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	4228252
    I've been on the cat to IoW but not the ferry

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Did that ~ 6 months ago to IOW. Wandered around Portsmouth en route. Seemed nice but didn't experience the night time. Wonder if they've got any prossies?
    It's a port. I'd say it was a dead cert that there were many flavours of people with negotiable affection available.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Portsmouth is a much nicer cruise port than Southampton simply because its much smaller. Never had a problem from Portsmouth, drive in and park, cross carpark to terminal, check in and get on ship Last few times from Southampton its been sit in a traffic jam for an hour or so to get into the docks followed by multiple long queues before getting on board hot and bothered and fractious Still a glass of bubbly and a couple of martini's normally sorts the system out
    Did you bump into NLyUK while they were working?

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I've only done one cruise! And yes, that was from Portsmouth.
    Portsmouth is a much nicer cruise port than Southampton simply because its much smaller. Never had a problem from Portsmouth, drive in and park, cross carpark to terminal, check in and get on ship Last few times from Southampton its been sit in a traffic jam for an hour or so to get into the docks followed by multiple long queues before getting on board hot and bothered and fractious Still a glass of bubbly and a couple of martini's normally sorts the system out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X