• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Welcome to Gilead

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Welcome to Gilead"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Well if you know any and have proof report them to social services. Though don't be surprised if social services have them on their radar anyway.
    So it is considered abuse as far as you're aware?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What a hear breaking story. Poor couple. The horrific outcome they are having to deal with and then have to argue to detail over and over again because of the legal situation. I mean, 'wait until the heartbeat has stopped'. Jesus wept. What a conversation to be having with them at that time.
    I'm absolutely rubbish with people and empathy but I couldn't even bear to finish reading the article.
    In another article, one of the chief Maltese doctors, interviewed by Maltese TV, questioned the validity of her attending doctor's decision and interpretation of the law.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the question. It might not be the norm but there are certainly drug users and alcoholics who breastfeed - for one thing it's a lot cheaper than formula so this leaves more money for substances.
    Well if you know any and have proof report them to social services. Though don't be surprised if social services have them on their radar anyway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

How likely is a woman who is a heavy substance abuser to breast feed?

Breast feeding is not the main way of feeding babies in the UK unless you are in certain demographics. (Most of the women on here would fall into those demographics.)
    I'm not sure how relevant this is to the question. It might not be the norm but there are certainly drug users and alcoholics who breastfeed - for one thing it's a lot cheaper than formula so this leaves more money for substances.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Apologies, I misread the original question.

I meant, I personally would consider it child abuse considering the impact it has on the child. I have no idea what the legalities are.

I can't see how breast feeding a child after drinking a pint of vodka is any different to directly giving a child vodka to drink. Other than making it a bit more palatable.

For mothers with drugs / alcohol issues, they need to be able to access baby formula so as not to put their children at risk.
    agree

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Breast feeding is not the main way of feeding babies in the UK unless you are in certain demographics. (Most of the women on here would fall into those demographics.)
    sadly I suspect its far too common

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I already posted that.

You also read it when I give some of the circumstances why you shouldn't ban abortion.
    you know the discussion is not binary?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I'm unclear on LM's reply also - and it's a genuine question as I don't know the law here. There are circumstances social services will take your baby away but I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Interesting case here, concerning Malta. https://www.euronews.com/2022/06/23/...fe-say-doctors

I already posted that.

You also read it when I give some of the circumstances why you shouldn't ban abortion.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

yes drinking significant amounts of alcohol will affect the baby or yes its technically possible but unwise?

I'm unclear on LM's reply also - and it's a genuine question as I don't know the law here. There are circumstances social services will take your baby away but I'm not sure if this is one of them.
    Apologies, I misread the original question.

I meant, I personally would consider it child abuse considering the impact it has on the child. I have no idea what the legalities are.

I can't see how breast feeding a child after drinking a pint of vodka is any different to directly giving a child vodka to drink. Other than making it a bit more palatable.

For mothers with drugs / alcohol issues, they need to be able to access baby formula so as not to put their children at risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Interesting case here, concerning Malta. https://www.euronews.com/2022/06/23/...fe-say-doctors
    What a hear breaking story. Poor couple. The horrific outcome they are having to deal with and then have to argue to detail over and over again because of the legal situation. I mean, 'wait until the heartbeat has stopped'. Jesus wept. What a conversation to be having with them at that time.
    I'm absolutely rubbish with people and empathy but I couldn't even bear to finish reading the article.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Yes, fortunately she was American and had good travel health insurance - they flew her to Spain to get the procedure done.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Despite her 16-week-old foetus no longer being viable and the acute risks to her life, doctors told Prudente, 38, from the Seattle area, she could not have an abortion as it is illegal in Malta, according to Weeldreyer.

He said staff at Mater Dei hospital in Msida informed them that she must instead wait until her foetus' heartbeat stops or there is an imminent risk to her life before it can be removed

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

yes drinking significant amounts of alcohol will affect the baby or yes its technically possible but unwise?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

When a fetus is inside the womb they aren't different things.

Until you are born you are reliant on the law to recognise when you have a separate body.

In the UK this doesn't happen until you are 23 weeks and 6 days if you don't have an abnormality, or until birth if you do.
    So when it pops out it magically transforms from a blob of cells to a human being? I thought I was the one who believed crazy things.
    Do we think UK law defines when someone is a person? Or only determines when they are granted legal status? If the law changes from 24 to 22 or 20 weeks, does this represent some fundamental change in truth... clearly not.

Are you saying that an abortion performed once you were already in labour would not be killing a baby? Or during the act of birth itself when it's half in half out? You're saying there's a magical transition point so can you say precisely when that is?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X