• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Weeeekend Thread

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Weeeekend Thread"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But surely if I was Sue Barker or Tom Cruise and I broke my ankle on a Friday night, I wouldn't have to sit for 8 hours with the hoi polloi? If your staff doesn't include a personal physician surely there aren't private 24/7 A&E rooms?
    Most private hospitals are not as well equipped (expensive kit like MRIs or operating theatres) or staffed (quality not quantity) as the NHS. If you give birth in a private facility and it goes wrong look forward to being blue lighted to the local NHS hospital. Many private appointments happen in NHS hospitals.

The food is better in private facilities though arguably its better in Russian prisons.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    But surely if I was Sue Barker or Tom Cruise and I broke my ankle on a Friday night, I wouldn't have to sit for 8 hours with the hoi polloi? If your staff doesn't include a personal physician surely there aren't private 24/7 A&E rooms?
    You would be surprised. Some A&E rooms are private for infection control reasons. Most are semi-private. Even the curtained cubicles afford some privacy. I usually get stuck straight in one of the larger areas because of the kit they often need for me. Drip bags, heart monitors, ecg machine, pacing checker etc.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Maybe this is normal practice these days but I was rather taken aback to hear our local hospital now has bouncers - in body armour - on A&E Friday nights. I'm more terrified of A&E than most injuries that are likely to take me there. Can one not pay for VIP lounge access?!
    Mine dosen't have bouncers but security make regular patrols and the police seem to be regular visitors. Back in 2019 some chap came into the cuible i was in closely followed by the psych team and threatened to murder me with a bible he was carrying.
    A&E on a weekend is not a place I want to be, but with my health the way it is, sometimes a visit is unavoidable. Top tip if you need A&E of a weekend try and get taken in by ambulance.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

You stink of Gricer.
    "Grice-Odour"?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by A Tablecloth View Post
    A great weekend, Britain at its best. So many memories were made over those four days.

Standout moment for me was sitting outside of a canal side pub near Crick and a figure on a passing boat climbed onto the roof of the boat and yelled "God bless Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second" & the drunken roar that went up from the assembled drinkers was deafening. Priceless
    You stink of Gricer.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Maybe this is normal practice these days but I was rather taken aback to hear our local hospital now has bouncers - in body armour - on A&E Friday nights. I'm more terrified of A&E than most injuries that are likely to take me there. Can one not pay for VIP lounge access?!
    A&E is scary with drunk & Irate customers, sounds like a good move.

Leave a comment:

• A Tablecloth
    replied
    A great weekend, Britain at its best. So many memories were made over those four days.

Standout moment for me was sitting outside of a canal side pub near Crick and a figure on a passing boat climbed onto the roof of the boat and yelled "God bless Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second" & the drunken roar that went up from the assembled drinkers was deafening. Priceless

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The other fun thing I've seen is setting a fire on top or even turning the stump into its own self-fuelled furnace. Can burn for days if you get it going. I've got a large willow stump to do and am tempted to make it the centre of my burn site.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Are you not tempted to just get someone in with a big grinder? We had one recently, great fun
    I'd considered it, in fact the one stump I originally wanted rid of, we still might get it ground out.
    The others started out as being stumps I've only found when cutting the grass, where the trees were taken down by the previous owners at ground level, but no lower. As the ground has dried and compacted down, the stumps were sitting proud.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Are you not tempted to just get someone in with a big grinder? We had one recently, great fun

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    TFA

Yesterday we went out for dinner to celebrate a year of living in the new place. Gardening today/tomorrow, hopefully digging out another tree stump in between watching the blackbirds fledge, party on Saturday night a few miles away, and that will be it.
    Three tree stumps out, two chain saws sharpened and one blunted again. Three wheelbarrow loads of soil to fill in the holes.

By Saturday I was starting to tackle one of the big stumps, which probably needs a digger to get out, but I've decided to start by hand. I've also found the foundations of an old outbuilding about half way down the garden, and a path, conveniently located close to where I want to put in a retaining wall to level off part of the lawn.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
    Bank holiday weekend so ramping up efforts to stay out of A&E.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

We've promised to be on our best behaviour.
    have you arranged counselling for the chap afterwards?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Poor guy.

We've promised to be on our best behaviour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X