• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Regrets/mistakes/bad decisions in life?"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Back in my East Berlin days this Russian guy down the pub wondered if he was cut out to go into politics.

"Vladdy, " I said, "You'll be awesome at that. Go for it."

No, straight up. He came to the Bierkeller every Wednesday for the quiz. A wizz on Judo questions. And killing.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    No regrets.

As Rachel said to me before passing ... don't live life with regrets. You only regret what you don't try. She loved her life and regretted nothing (not even marrying me ... I know, that surprised me too!)

Take opportunities as they turn up, try them, if it doesn't work, move on and try something different. Just don't get to your last day and regret not trying something as that's the worst regret in life.

Although, saying that, I'm probably going to give pegging a miss

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Yeah you've either got to bleat about how bad your life is or present the "my life is awesome, suckers" version instead. No half measures.
    My life is awesome, suckers.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

… Cuz I got a brand new combine harvesteranti-aircraft missile battery
    An' I'll give you the key
    Come on now let's get together
    In perfect harmony
    The Ukrainian farmers version.

I bought some points timeshare things once. Bad idea. In the end told them to get stuffed and ignored their (empty) threats.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    His divorce settlement mandated he give his ex wife any and all future Nobel prize money which he honoured.
    How bizarre, if true. What a strange stipulation... maybe he thought there was no chance he'd ever win it

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Einstein worked hard to gain the Nobel Prize so that he could pay to divorce his wife Mileva. Had he been happy with Mileva, there may not have been the E=Mc2 equation.
    He must of fell out of love pretty quick

Married Mileva in 1903
    Special Relatively (E=MC2) published 1905
    Divorced 1919
    Nobel Prize 1922

His divorce settlement mandated he give his ex wife any and all future Nobel prize money which he honoured.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 1 June 2022, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Einstein worked hard to gain the Nobel Prize so that he could pay to divorce his wife Mileva. Had he been happy with Mileva, there may not have been the E=Mc2 equation.
    Not sure this is very accurate. He won the prize nearly two decades after the work which motivated it, and only after a lot of internal politics. The prize was not due to his work on relativity and he certainly didn't work to 'earn' a Nobel.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't really have any regrets. Disappointments, maybe, but if I had done some things differently or made different decisions would I be the person I am today?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I don't regret anything; but, with hindsight:

I should have left school at 16 instead of faffing on for another couple of years and then wasting my time at college.
    I should have been less trusting of financial "experts" in the 80's and 90's.
    I shouldn't have married my first two wives.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I don't really have any regrets. Disappointments, maybe, but if I had done some things differently or made different decisions would I be the person I am today?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Reflections on past decisions in hindsight are not really the same as regrets, in my view. I have some of the former but few of the latter.

In which case you have had the same normal life and reflection about regrets that most of us have. My biggest regret is that I have been an empathist when in fact I should have put myself first. However, I learn from the past but don't live in the past.
    So you regret not being more of a selfish git?

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I wish I had absorbed more of the Essex wideboy wheeler dealer business acumen which is part of my birthright.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Some time ago one of my wife's friends bought a Rolf Harris painting for several thousand pounds.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post
    I think if you make it to middle age and you dont have any regrets you've done something wrong. I look back on certain things and still cringe with regret. But at the same time mistakes happen and sometimes these things either make you or break you.

That being said if I had a time machine I'd use it for a few decisions.
    In which case you have had the same normal life and reflection about regrets that most of us have. My biggest regret is that I have been an empathist when in fact I should have put myself first. However, I learn from the past but don't live in the past.

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    I think if you make it to middle age and you dont have any regrets you've done something wrong. I look back on certain things and still cringe with regret. But at the same time mistakes happen and sometimes these things either make you or break you.

That being said if I had a time machine I'd use it for a few decisions.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    I wish I'd had more kids and started a family sooner. Being a father is hard work but the most rewarding thing I've ever done, plus they are turning out to be good kids.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X